Sand filter pressure not dropping and burned wires on pump motor

skhotso

Jul 31, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
Hey all. First time owner of aboveground pool with a starite 200# sand filter and a starite jwpas5f-2a4 pump. The season started off relatively easy after the first shock treatment but then we slowly stopped using the pool but I still ran the filter for a few hours a day. I noticed the filter pressure slowly rising and have backwashed several times but the pressure still continued to rise. It is now at 23 psi whereas it was at 15 at the beginning of the season.
Coincidentally, the pump's wires at the motor burned so I put new flag terminals on and it ran fine for a few days. I just repaired it again and it burned out within a few hours.

Are the two issues related?
How do I go about lowering the pressure? Do I just need to open it up and do a manual cleanout of the filter? I can't do an OCLT so I'm not sure if there is anything going on in the filter.

Aside from the pressure, what is the likely repair for the motor? Just rewire once the pressure is lower?
I can't seem to find any literature on the pump I have but I've seen mentions of it being a dual speed motor. How would I change the pump speed?

TIA!

Welcome to TFP!

How long are you backwashing? It could take 2 or 3 minutes.

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

Thanks! I had been scouring the forums for awhile and finally decided to register.

At first I was backwashing for 3+ minutes but lately I've been seeing clear water at about 30 seconds to 1 minute so I just stop at 3 mins flat.

The pressure gauge does not go down to 0 when the pump is off. I have a feeling its not normal for it to stay at pressure even when the pump is off?

If the gauge does not zero when the pump is off, the gauge is no longer functional. You need a new gauge.

Forgot to get back to this thread. I replaced the bearings and the pressure gauge. Gauge indeed drops to zero when not running.
The pump worked great up until last week when the wire burned out again. Not a huge issue but I'm starting to think the power cord is just too thin to handle the load.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.