Sand Filter option and new above ground pool adjustments

Apr 15, 2017
GA
I believe I have settled on a pool to get finally, but I have some questions still. The wife and I laid out an 18ft round area with flags (cheap little flags construction uses) and felt that once it has people in it, it will feel small. So we are going up to a 22ft. The problem is my budget isn't allowing me to spend the money on an Ultraframe 22ft AND get the upgraded sand pump and SWG, so we are opting for a Coleman(bestway really) 22'x52" Power Steel pool. I intend to get the biggest Intex SWG I can get since that seems to be the best option for SWG in this price range. But what about a pump. I have two below. Is Extremepowerusa a decent brand, and is it worth the upgrade from the Intext for a 22ft pool? My mother in law is coming down this weekend to visit and works at walmart, so I plan to use her 10% off option to buy these things. We are also planning to tear down my 10x12 deck and put up a 20x24 with a small extension that steps up to the pool that will be near the house.

Extremepowerusa 19" w/ 1.5hp pump for $210

Intex 1HP 3000 GPH sand pump (biggest intex I can find) $169

I have a couple side notes that I would like to verify that might help me avoid potential issues I often read about.

Rusting - I have read in a review that someone said these pools usually rust from water getting into the seams on the frame
(especially Salt systems), so he suggested taping them. I plan to get some waterproof tape and just tape up every seam on the frame once it is in place. I live in South GA and plan to leave it up year round. We barely get a freeze warning, let alone snow.

SWG - I read people often have trouble with these going out. One lady at work said hers went out 3 times in one year. It seems if I take out the cell and clean it in vinegar(White vinegar I guess?) on a monthly basis I guess it should last a lot better.

Pipes - I see most people end up using real PVC pipes with valves. My dad runs a hardware store, so I can get PVC stuff dirt cheap. Is it worth the hassle of upgrading this part?

Pump / SWG covering - Do I need to cover these to help protect them?

One last question. Is it worth the hassle of paying for extended warranties on any of this? Is it easy to void the warranty? Is Walmart's warranty worth anything?

My current Project is removing three oak trees, putting up 220ft of 7 ft privacy fence(hand built), redoing the deck, and getting a pool - Budget is $7800. The fence and trees are taking up approx $5500 of that. Life is expensive. lol

Welcome to TFP,

Its one point of view, but I wouldn't put a salt system in a pool with steel frame legs. Also, for me, its too easy to simply add Chlorine in a pool this size. If you are gone a whole lot, maybe, but there are other automation options for Chlorine addition. I'm not against SWG, I just don't think they are the bees knees for every pool or pool owner. They do have issues, and they do perform better with optimized water Chemistry. Not a giant task, but they have advantages and disadvantages like ecerything else. Those failing your friend three times a year are likely due to Chemistry balance not being optimized for her SWG.

I think the PVC upgrades are well worth it, especially with valves in place like you see here so often. Plus, it just looks so much better.

Others will weigh in too, I mostly wanted to touch on a couple here, and welcome you aboard. Enjoy your stay on TFP.

Thanks. I've been back and forth over what to use, but I want to try a SWG first I think. I know my habits, and I won't want to check the pool all the time (daily or every other day) with an expensive kit just to make sure it stays right. Most people talk about how much nicer the water looks and is after changing to a swg.

I'll have to figure out the PVC stuff and go ahead and do that. I plan to add a skimmer and I need some advice on how to add a valve for a pool vacuum

Thanks. I've been back and forth over what to use, but I want to try a SWG first I think. I know my habits, and I won't want to check the pool all the time (daily or every other day) with an expensive kit just to make sure it stays right. Most people talk about how much nicer the water looks and is after changing to a swg.

I'll have to figure out the PVC stuff and go ahead and do that. I plan to add a skimmer and I need some advice on how to add a valve for a pool vacuum

Just throwing in my 2 cents, i'm no pro but thanks to this awesome community i've been able to accomplish a few things when i started out with no knowledge.. now i have a little more than no knowledge :)

Typically thats right, metal and SWG dont mix well.. however.. my ultra frame 18x52" is holding up after 1 season.. granted i did get some rusting at the joints on the inner tops of each pole initially (unsure if from the SWG which i added 2 months after starting it up).. but i cured it, i used rustoleum paint and painted every single possible joint (easy and quick to do), as well as down the support structures.. i then wrapped the key spots with rescue tape as added protection.. no new signs of rust since then.. i've been really happy with the intex SWG i have.. i run it between 4 and 7 hours a day(7 on hot sunny ones.. but typically i leave it at 7).. all i ever do is keep a sock with a bunch of CYA hanging in the water.. check the chlorine levels each week and use my ph meter to make sure things are in check (others will probably yell and say other checks are needed but this has worked well for me). I'm lazy and like it automatic as can be.. i've pvc'd (see my link for build pics/info).. i added a robot and i'm about to switch to a hayward 21" + 1.5hp sand pump for added power and less runtime hopefully overall ie: down from 11 hours to maybe 7 tops and only because of the SWG :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.