Sand filter laterals

Mrshayes

Jul 8, 2019
Michigan
All of the laterals on our sand filter have sand in them. Is this normal? Last fall when we took the pool down, some of the sand had calcified in the tank. I think the sand in the laterals is calcified also. Do I need to replace these, or can I take them off and clean them if the sand doesn't belong in them?

If you can get the sand out then please do so. Just care as you don't want to break any of the laterals. I would look into getting new sand. When you go to add the sand back into the filter make sure to put something over the stand pipe so NO sand can go down it.

Once you have the pipe in place and it's opening covered fill the filter half way up with water THEN hand place sand under the laterals then cover them with hand placed sand. Once the laterals are well covered then you can gently dump the rest of the sand. Once all of your sand is in close it back up. Allow water to refill the equipment. THEN back wash and rinse the filter well so it will be ready to go!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.