Oregonpool214

Jul 2, 2020
Mid /Southern Oregon
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all. We have a Hayward s244t (300lb sand) filter that‘s ?? Years old. We bought our house with pool about 7 years ago, and (I know, I know) have done little filter-specific maintenance. We replaced the sand about 3 years ago on the recommendation of our local pool store, and backwash when needed, etc.

My toddler tells me “I hear a weird sprinkler noise but don’t see the sprinklers on” a few nights ago, and I find a large crack spraying out from below the neck of the filter. I’ve read that crack repairs are fixable, but I also read that there are all kinds of parts in this filter that need maintenance and upkeep, none of which we’ve done. Are we better off repairing this filter, or getting a new one (we have it in our current budget / pool Reno plan to purchase new, but just need opinions on if it’s absolutely absurd to not fix it). Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum!
Pressure vessels should be replaced when damaged, never repaired.
Your filter vessel should be taken out of service, now. The force that would occur if you had a catastrophic failure could harm person or property.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

My filter made from polyethylene, same material as chlorine and acid bottles, car gasoline tanks. This material chemical resistant.
Gluing is possible, but glue is expensive, it hard process and it not hard enough. You can try to fix gasoline tank, that can cost $thousands, but not a filter under high pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.