Sand Filter and SWG

Jul 16, 2016
Spring
Speaking of sand, my problem is with a new Intex 16'x32'x52" that came with a sand filter. I added the SWG.
The type of sand I used was play ground sand from Lowe's but I am not producing enough chlorine. My SWG says my salt is low but I have ample salt.
My flows go to almost nil and then I am daily having to backwash to get the flow to normal. I am thinking my low salt is really a low flow problem.
Is this a type of sand problem?
I am ready to buy the pool sand at Lowe's for $1.00/# bit want to see if I am missing something.
Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You definitely need to use #20 silica sand and not play sand. The low salt is probably because you need to clean the SWG cell with vinegar. The reason the filter is clogging up quickly is likely because there is not enough chlorine in the pool and algae is growing. This is how we kill algae, SLAM Process

Start here in Pool School
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Getting Started

Your focus now should be killing algae.. don't sweat the tweaking too much as the algae will become more and more a problem the longer you wait. You can tweak and balance after the water is cleared of the algae.

Decided to wait on the sand replacement and SLAM to fight the algae but need more help on the SLAM.

Added 15 ea 3 qt bleach bottles from Walmart called Top Job ($1.00/ea). The bottle has no chemical reference as to contents.

My current readings:
FC 3 1 drop w 10 mil
CC 0.5 1 drop w 10 mil
PH 7.1 10 drops to 7.6
TA 130
CH 130
CYA 60 assume now b/c 65 this am, drained 4", refilled

Now I bought 15 more bleach bottles at Walmart but changed to generic 121 OZ labeled sodium hypochlorite 8.25% ($2.94/ea).

Question - do I have the right bleach type or should I go back to the Top Job? I discovered the math sheet and do not know what to input for either bleach product I have here.

My reasoning was I had a cheap bleach it wasn't powerful enough to help me slam. Now I am concerned the 8.25% is the wrong product due to low chlorine content.

You also can take a look at the Julian day stamped in the bottles, but from Wal-Mart it should be fresh
45d3dc96605d05f4ff386d7c95de30b4.jpg

Wow, very informative, thank you. Where is the stamp on the Great Value bottle? I see a raised stamp on the bottom under the recycle triangle and it is "210-21". Also see a black ink stamp on the neck of the bottle just below the handle "16 236 09:32 B2 TX-01". Not sure how to interpret this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Economy bleach and especially if it does not have a percentage of hypochlorite listed is usually under 6% - thus the low price. You're buying water then, not chlorine. It might work for clothes, but isn't concentrated enough for pools. Go for the good stuff. They usually have 12.5% in the pool section labeled "chlorinating liquid" though this late in the season they may not be restocking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.