Sand blowing, when to SLAM?

RynLikes2Swim

May 11, 2021
Cincinnati, Ohio
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
First time pool owner. My sand filter is blowing sand all over the pool, but I also need to SLAM it. Water is clear, but it’s not holding chlorine. Failed OCLT last night. I’m not sure when I’ll be able to get the filter fixed. I have no idea how to do it myself. Should I not SLAM yet until the filter is fixed? Or can I SLAM right now? I have a SWG that was recently installed. It always says “low salt”. I have a guy from Leslie’s Pool supplies coming next week to look at it.

Welcome to the forum!
A functioning filter is pretty important to the SLAM process. You should be adding chlorine every day right now to keep it from getting worse, however.
Sand filters are pretty simple pieces of equipment. Have you researched how to take apart and repair yours from the owners manual or YouTube?
Fill out your signature. Really helps us help you.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks. I did look up a video today and I’m hoping it is actually as simple as they made it look. My husband and I will work on the filter before we SLAM.
Once we get it SLAMmed properly should the SWG be able to mostly keep the FC levels at a healthy level?
And do I use the FAS-DPD test to test the FC levels during the SLAM to make sure they’re high enough?

Welcome to the forum!
A functioning filter is pretty important to the SLAM process. You should be adding chlorine every day right now to keep it from getting worse, however.
Sand filters are pretty simple pieces of equipment. Have you researched how to take apart and repair yours from the owners manual or YouTube?
Fill out your signature. Really helps us help you.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Also, do you know anything about Jaccuzi brand SWG? If they’re any good.

Once we get it SLAMmed properly should the SWG be able to mostly keep the FC levels at a healthy level?
Can you provide more detail on the SWCG? Model number, etc.
And do I use the FAS-DPD test to test the FC levels during the SLAM to make sure they’re high enough?
Yes.
Also, do you know anything about Jaccuzi brand SWG? If they’re any good.
They are a rebranded unit. No idea who makes them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.