Sand between pool liner and steel steps

Apr 7, 2016
Derby, KS
Ok guys, I need some reassurance. I was trying to fill a crack in the concrete deck and was adding sand to help fill in the void and I was using a hose to help wash the sand in (the sand was old filter sand). Come to find out, the water was actually washing a good portion of the sand under my liner. I’m not sure why but the top steps corners aren’t connected well (pool is roughly 25+ years old) and this is where the sand was coming in from.(it piled on the top step and caused the liner to bludgeon) I was able to unhook the liner and vacuum most of the sand off the top step but there is a good portion of the sand that made its way down the steps via the small voids in the corners where the vinyl liner doesn’t sit tight. (It has a small radius) Should I be concerned about this? I know sand is typically used in some applications as a base but I’m just a little paranoid, it’s a brand new liner and the first one i’ve had installed. The liner is a Merlin and 27 mil. Thanks everyone!

Show us pictures of your situation.

Can you feel the sand between the liner and the steel step? I think the sand will pack down and flow off over time. It should no cause a problem if there are no big lumps.

Top down view of the steps at the corner where the sand came in. The circled areas are where the sand is currently. As i said before, it has filled the area where there was a gap between the liner and the steps because the liner hadn't stretched to fill the corner. There are no bulges in the liner, when I pulled the corner off, I vacuumed up all that I could to fix it. There are some pieces of sand underneath the flat part of the top step that I can feel. Should I be worried about those? I guess I'm more worried about the sand wearing the liner out prematurely. Also, the liner over the steps is textured if that makes any difference.

Thanks again
pool steps.jpg

Shouldnt be an issue. As long as there isn't a large enough lump to have a void around it it's fine. For future sand is a terrible fill for anything other than mixing mortar. The concrete filler in a caulk tube is good for that stuff fyi

Good to know. Lesson learned on the sand near the pool! Used what I had handy since I just did a filter change. When you say void around the large lumps are you just referring to a large area of the liner that isn’t up against the wall or floor? I don’t have any lumps, it looks just like I did before but I do have small void on most of my corners. Is that normal for a new liner? Will it eventually stretch and fill in? This is the area that there is still sand in on some parts.
Thanks for the help and apologies for the questions, just worried since it’s my first new liner. Want it to last a long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.