Sand At The Bottom of My Pool

Oct 7, 2014
Braintree, MA
Figures on the hottest day of the year (near 100 in Boston today) i'm seeing sand at the bottom of my pool.

It most definitely looks like filter sand. I haven't changed out the sand in probably 4 years, so I'm assuming that part is due.

I have a Hayward with a multiport valve for my above ground pool. Does that mean it's a broken lateral for sure?

Or any other reason that the filter would be spitting sand back into the pool?

Okay thanks. I actually never rinse after backwash (just learned about that) so I did a lengthy backwash and rinse and the filter sounds a bit more normal now—was making a lot of “gurgling noises”.

After a few hours though and my water is greenish (looked perfect yesterday) so I have a feeling the filter isn’t doing its job. Chlorine is a little high but other levels seem fine.

Green water? One of two things I suspect:
1 - Algae - chlorine and/or stabilizer not balanced properly
2 - Metals (iron/copper) - on a well or used much pool store algaecides in the past? Any chlorine products called "blue"?

Now might be a good time to update your signature and tell us how you test your water. Which test kit?

Green water? One of two things I suspect:
1 - Algae - chlorine and/or stabilizer not balanced properly
2 - Metals (iron/copper) - on a well or used much pool store algaecides in the past? Any chlorine products called "blue"?

Now might be a good time to update your signature and tell us how you test your water. Which test kit?

It's definitely the filter sand though. I think the green is from using Pool shock at Job Lot --just a bit too much since my free chlorine was at an 11 this morning. All other levels were fine. I'm using a Taylor FASD Kit.

I did take apart the filter, vacuumed out all the sand ...and I'm a bit confused at the laterals in my filter. I've attached a picture. I'm not sure if this center pipe is supposed to be glued together like this, but definitely looks like it was (is this supposed to be one piece?). Never took one of these apart so not sure what I'm looking at here. All i know is that I could basically just pick up the laterals, didn't seem like they were really attached to anything.

image1 — imgbb.com

IMG 3182 — imgbb.com

IMG 3181 — imgbb.com

I'm not familiar with a hub coming apart like that either. I can ask someone else to take a look. Now might be a good time to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info so we know exactly what you have. The pics help, but the description will as well. It's possible you might have to order a new center pipe/hub, but not positive yet.

I did a little digging and I can see someone else complaining about it. I'm not sure if this is the original disconnect or if the previous guy that fixed my pool used this glue job to get the filter working.

The part is only $40, so i'm thinking instead of just gluing it together it might be best to just buy a new one.

Thanks for advice on signature--will do shortly. Thanks!

It looks like some of those laterals were replaced at one time - based on the 2 different colors. Also looks as if the hub portion was glued together - possibly when the laterals were replaced. Obviously the "fix" didn't hold properly. Replacing the hub assembly may be your best option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.