Sand and dirt from Jets-Brand New Sand Filter

K-Tanz

Apr 18, 2018
Phoenix/AZ
Hey all! I am chasing a tenacious problem. For the record this is an in ground pool with jets, main drain, and skimmer with a sand filter. I have sand and dirt coming out of one jet in particular. I had a (I think) reputable company come out and look at it. Long story short, I now have a brand spanking new sand filter (triton TR100). It comes with a 1 year warranty from the company who installed it. I am still having sand and dirt collecting at one jet in particular. The tech came out, opened it up, said there are no low spots in the sand indicating a broken lateral, and he tightened some valve which he said could allow sand to circulate into the system. Still sand in the bottom. Additionally, when the system runs it is constantly purging air out the jets. he was saying I may have a leak under the pool allowing air into the system. I have always thought that the water level gets low kind of quick, so its not unreasonable to me that I may have a leak somewhere.

I have a few thoughts.

1. Dirt coming from one jet may mean a leak at the line which feeds that particular jet, but to me it does not explain filter sand coming through that jet. I could see dirt coming in from a cracked pipe, but why filter sand? This would also not explain air being purged out of the system as those jets are return lines from the pump to the pool and would not suck air into the system, correct?

2. A leak in the return line from the main drain or skimmer to the pump/filter would explain air getting into the system and subsequently purging out of the jets, but it still doesn't explain sand and dirt out of that jet.

Could the sand getting into the pool be from low quality sand? Just crappy non-uniform sand getting through the laterals? It seems reasonable that an installer may use crappy sand to save some money. I thought about an overpowered motor, but the motor has been on there for years with no issues and the filter was an exact swap.

As it's still under warranty from these guys I want to have them work it up, but they seem to be scratching their heads. Is it worth it to shell out cash to have someone come leak test it and take another look? And even still, leaks in my plumbing don't explain that one dirty jet. The tech suggested maybe capping that jet at the manifold (distributor? The death star thing with the ceramic ball that activates the jets), but to me this would mean that when that jet cycles now I'm gonna have crazy pressure buildup in my shiny expensive new filter. Seems like it would need to be routed into another jet to avoid pressure buildup. Not to mention I don't see how this solves my sand problem.

Okay, I hope that wasn't too much. Thanks so much everyone!

Kevin

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
Is it possible the sand coming out is remnants left from the old filter? (maybe a lot of leftover in your lines)

If they put in the wrong sand it could pass through, but that would be a maintenance headache for them
too. Not sure how putting in the wrong type would be an advantage for them. I mean it wouldn't even
filter properly and you'd be calling them back for having a dirty pool.

Ask them what sand they used.

K-Tanz

Apr 18, 2018
Phoenix/AZ
Is it possible the sand coming out is remnants left from the old filter? (maybe a lot of leftover in your lines)

If they put in the wrong sand it could pass through, but that would be a maintenance headache for them
too. Not sure how putting in the wrong type would be an advantage for them. I mean it wouldn't even
filter properly and you'd be calling them back for having a dirty pool.

Ask them what sand they used.
The tech did suggest pulling that particular jet and letting it cycle for a night. If there's leftovers in that line pulling the jet and letting it blow out would probably blow all the Crud out of there, so I will just pull the jet and leave it off for a night.

Reactions: borjis