San Diego Build, Lots of Boulders!

Feb 15, 2017
Ramona
I'm now 7' deep in dirt.

I've hired a pool builder to construct a 18' x 36', 8' deep, no spa, no heater, simple pool.

I started by removing all my existing yard. I ran into some rock; blue granite. In getting quotes for the pool, all of my quotes excluded all work relating to rock/boulders, so I knew that I was on my own on removing them. I did some research on removing boulders and settled on the expanding grout, Dexpan.
I am currently on my 3rd roto hammer, 4th SDS-MAX 1 1/2 bit, and have used over 250 lbs of Dexpan. I think this boulder is 100 feet long 30 feet wide and have no idea how deep, right were I want my pool.

I also wanted to move some very large boulders from another part of my yard to be used around my pool. I found very little information on how to do this on the internet. The boulders i wanted to move were about 7' x 6' x 4'. Thats about 160cuft! at ~180lbs/cuft thats around 25,000 to 30,000 lbs per boulder. I talked to all the Pool Builders as I was getting quotes about moving them, none of them had any ideas. I talked to crane companies and they couldn't do it. I finally found a company/guy on Craigslist that had tractors, very large tractors. He brought out a new John Deere 350D. This tractor were barely able to lift boulders, and place them. It was great to watch.

My thought on the boulders would be decoration and a jumping rock. Use the existing materials on site to create a natural, usable feature. I always thought the fake, manufactured and painted concrete boulders always ended up looking fake and run down over time. Real boulders would last forever! The cost of building fake boulders probably cost about the same as me having my boulders moved.

At this point, I am now an expert on fracturing boulders.

Matteo,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your new pool building questions... :shark:

I pronounce you the official TFP Boulder Fracturing Expert (BFE)... We'll keep your name on file for the next time we have any boulder questions.. :p

Good job on something that I would not even have tried to do...

But..... without any pictures, we will just have to assume you just made it all up... :laughblue:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Dear BFE,

Wowty wow wow! That is an amazing project and you have amazing willpower and determination. Hats off for tackling that project. Progress picture will make a fascinating thread, please keep us in the loop.

(My real reason for posting is I want that dog. He/she looks my kinda' dog!)

This is the first roto hammer that quit working after 1 hour.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the second roto hammer that would not drill two holes without over heating.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I don't really know what I'm doing. Just lots of research and willing to try things out.

The dog is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.

Dear BFE,

Wowty wow wow! That is an amazing project and you have amazing willpower and determination. Hats off for tackling that project. Progress picture will make a fascinating thread, please keep us in the loop.

(My real reason for posting is I want that dog. He/she looks my kinda' dog!)

- - - Updated - - -

The JD 250D

- - - Updated - - -

This was almost a month ago now...

- - - Updated - - -

cool view of breaking up rock, after its been fracutured.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that if I didn't have any rock, this tractor could dig my entire pool in less than 10 minutes. It is SO FAST!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bet your body is feeling every hole you drill! OUCH! Did the place you bought the first two drills from take them back?

Is the tractor guy bringing the BIG toy to your house every once in a while or is he leaving it there and using it as you get more rock busted up?

At least you know your pool will never move once you get it built! I like how you are using the boulders around the yard. Looks awesome!

Kim:kim:

Both drills were returned, no problems. They were nice drills, but just not up to the task. The Milwaukee drill is a beast. It can go hours on end with out problems.

I am very lucky in that the tractor has been staying at my house. He has no project for it right now, so he is willing to leave it there. He comes out every few weeks to remove the next round of fractured rock. I've also done some other stuff around the property that only a tractor that big can do.
Yes, placing the boulders around the yard was us saying, "don't fight them, use them." Might call the property, "Big Boulder Ranch"

Yes, that flat rock was moved from another part of the property. It should be the show piece of the pool/backyard. It is ~9' long and ~6' wide. I'm hopping that it will be about 4-5' above the deep end, and over hang by about a foot. It is creepy how flat it is. We put a level on it to get it perfect level side to side, but we put a slight tilt (fore and aft) to make all water drain away from pool. I was thinking that would keep pool water cleaner.
Everyone who sees it comments on it... I tell them that God doesn't make things that flat, it was cut by aliens! With a laser!

I will have several questions as I build and think about this project. For example...
What is the ideal equipment elevation?
I have the option of installing my pool equipment at any elevation I want. I was thinking of putting most of it just below water line. I was thinking that would be better for priming the pump, and reduce pumping losses. It would also help to hide the equipment.

The problem with placing the equipment below the normal water level of the pool is that when you open the pump leaf catcher to clean it out your pool starts draining through it. Now that is simple to deal with if you have valves on each of your suction lines but it can be a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.