Sams Club Powder Chlorine

I'd want to know if that other 1% is copper? If so- No Bueno!!

How would you be using this stuff? If you use it continuously your CYA level will be thru the roof in no time and you'll be needing a drain and refill to lower it.

Maddie :flower:

It adds equal parts chlorine and CYA -- the chlorine is consumed and the CYA stays. If you need to raise your CYA - that is OK. But you MUST stop using it once your CYA reaches your target value of 40 ppm or so.

How did you get that CYA reading? If correct, you need to use liquid chlorine from here on out. Nothing solid.

You really should consider a SWCG. For that size pool here in the desert it would make your life so much easier. To make up 4 ppm FC loss per day in the summer will be over 1 1/2 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine every day ---

You should not be fighting the 'green'. My pool has never been green. How are you testing your pool water chemistry?

For your size pool I would suggest looking at the Circupool units rated for a 60K pool. With your VS pump you would just run it 24 hours per day in the summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You've got one big honkin' pool there friend! Is it truly 40k gallons?! WOW!
The Pentair IC60 might be your best bet, but I worry it too may be a bit small?? Some folks with seriously large pools find putting two SWGs to work is the answer.

The cost of using a SWG is about the same as buying chlorine....its just that you're paying the price all at once upfront. The advantages though are enormous as it will work day in and day out and allow you to leave on vacation or trips without worry about your chlorine.

You've got one big honkin' pool there friend! Is it truly 40k gallons?! WOW!
The Pentair IC60 might be your best bet, but I worry it too may be a bit small?? Some folks with seriously large pools find putting two SWGs to work is the answer.

The cost of using a SWG is about the same as buying chlorine....its just that you're paying the price all at once upfront. The advantages though are enormous as it will work day in and day out and allow you to leave on vacation or trips without worry about your chlorine.

I've never truly had a measurement but my pool guy told me what he estimated it was, it is 10 ft seep at its deepest point and about 45-50 long and anywhere from 15-20 ft wide

Great! Can you post up a full set of test results?
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

FYI -- you cannot measure a CYA of 45. The vial is logarithmic. Next time, try this:
Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....

Great! Can you post up a full set of test results?
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

FYI -- you cannot measure a CYA of 45. The vial is logarithmic. Next time, try this:
Once you have your solution ready, back to the sun, etc. Fill the vial to a line, say 80, lower the vial to your waist level and glance for the dot, you see it, add solution to the 70 line, glance, see it, repeat until you no longer see it with a glance. Then use the CYA value one step above the line you read. So if you stopped at 50, use 60 ppm CYA.

The vial is in logarithmic scale. So it is not viable to interpolate between the lines. Just use the whole numbers, such as 50, 40, 30, ....
Ok thanks for the advice, I'll try it again when I get home, I definitely did not use the "glance" method, I looked long and hard down the vial and sun to the front of me.
I'll let you know

thanks

We recommend a SWCG rated for twice your pool volume. That is hard to do with a 40K pool as all the residential SWCG's are maxed out at 60K. So you want the RJ-60 or RJ-60 plus if a Circupool unit. Pentair makes an IC60.

Remember, the rating stated on a SWCG unit is for 24 hours at 100% operation to produce ~4 ppm FC. So in your pool, in summer, a 60K rated unit would need be set at ~65% output if run 24 hours per day.

I would take a few minutes to measure your pool. You might be over-estimating it, and if so you might have a few more options for choosing a SWG.
I think a majority of pool salesmen and tech guys get the gallons wrong from stories I've read here. I know mine was off by about 5K gallons!
The bottom of the classic web version of Pool Math PoolMath has a pool size calculator on it. Check it out.

Though I’m not at 40k gallons like you are, I’m close at 35k gallons. Plus we are in the Texas heat. I have been using a Cirrcupool SJ55 for several years now. It made our lives so much simpler. The unit, on our pool, in the summertime needs to run 14 hours a day at 100 percent to keep up. The RJ60 creates more chlorine than the SJ55 does. I would think the 60 would be a better choice for you.

Bryan

I would take a few minutes to measure your pool. You might be over-estimating it, and if so you might have a few more options for choosing a SWG.
I think a majority of pool salesmen and tech guys get the gallons wrong from stories I've read here. I know mine was off by about 5K gallons!
The bottom of the classic web version of Pool Math PoolMath has a pool size calculator on it. Check it out.

Ok so now I regret measuring the pool lol, according to the calculator my pool is about 45k gallons.it is a very odd shape so can be a bit over estimating du to widest part of the pool is in the deep end and I kind of went with that measurement for the width

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190310-174646.png
    Screenshot_20190310-174646.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.