Saltwater system doesn't work so going to adding chemicals

Jeanneful

Oct 18, 2016
Mt Vernon MIssouri
Our salt water system will not work. The filter pump works but it shuts off after a minute on the saltwater cycle and a red service light comes on.
We are going to go ahead and use the pump. Problem is we added 360 lbs of salt in the pool. Can we go ahead and add bleach, or chemicals to it?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
You never responded on your other thread.

The salt will not effect your use of liquid chlorine added every day to chlorinate your pool.

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
Hi Jeanne
Can you give us some information about your salt system? Filling out your signature with your equipment information would be a great start for us to reference.

Jeanneful

Oct 18, 2016
Mt Vernon MIssouri
So I bought hth chlorinating tablets. It says use 6 for my size pool. Is this all I need to use at the start up? I purchased the 6-way test strips and downloaded the app.
I will miss my saltwater generator that's for sure, I never had to add anything.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Sorry, but you are on your own using test strips. The forum does not provide guidance based on them.

You can use trichlor. Be ready to drain water often to control the CYA. Also monitor the pH, it will drop quickly.