Saltwater Generator what to do?

chayne

Bronze Supporter
Wow! Wonder what they make those poles out of? Just for sheer convenience, a SWG is worth the effort. Think about a good rust preventative coating, there are a number that would work well and probably should be done anyway.

If you decide to manually chlorinate, no problem. You can always Craigslist the SWG, I'm sure there are many people who are just waiting for one to show up.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Welcome!! :wave: We are glad you stopped back in.

this past year i used nothing but bleach, and had no problems whatsoever thanks to this forum. i got a good test kit and was able to keep my numbers right where i needed them to be. so it does not bother me to do it manually. i actually enjoyed it. that is what i was thinking also was the craigslist approach. i just really dont think i will be using it

I think you are on the right track. Keep asking questions, and you will get the info you need to make good decisions. I think what might be throwing you off is rust. You think SWG pool is a rusty pool. That is not really the case. A rusty pool is a rusty pool. if the materials will rust, they will rust. The most important ingredient in rust is oxygen. Will salt help accelerate rust? Yes. Do most people with salt pools have rusty pools? No. all stainless steels rust. lower cost stainless steels tend to rust far more easily. I think you want to solve your rust (which will continue with or without salt), and then decide what you want to do.

Reasons to use and SWG to provide chlorine:

-Automatic, daily dose of chlorine (less daily maintenance)
-nicer softer feel of the water
-open eyes underwater with comfort
-no need for weekly lugging of chlorine from the store
-less bad will happen if you get pulled away, or forget for a few days or even a week or two
-you don't run out of chlorine except when the cell is finally spent

Reasons to use liquid chlorine:

-no up front cost, you pay as you go, vs having to buy 7 years of chlorine up front.
-can be automated with a timed pump, largely offsetting the SWG automation advantage (but with more up front cost)
-may be less prone to PH rise than SWG, may be easier to get the PH to settle
-becomes a salt pool over time because salt is a byproduct of adding liquid chlorine
-no future need to buy another cell 5-7 years later
-salt can be added to a liquid chlorine pool largely offsetting the advantage of an SWG pool's nicer water "feel"

now you have really got me to thinking. i was all set on selling the SWG, but now i dont know for sure. now i am thinking of maybe using it. i have some time til spring to make my decision.
I am deciding on how to handle the rust issue on a couple of places. but i am going to do it to all the metal on the pool. i know i have to sand down the rust to get rid of it. would regular rustoleum paint work? i was actually thinking of that Flex Seal that you see on tv. what are your recommendations?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmmm. Interesting thought. If you are double lucky, see if anyone shoots AquaBright in your area. I'd bet, if they did it during a pool job, that they could shoot AquaBright on it. And that would stop it for many years. I assume the rust is near the water line?

But if if lots of things are rusting, you have another problem. Maybe very low PH? Or, more likely, an inferior grade of stainless steel. All stainless steel rusts, but the corrosion resistant stuff is light years better than the low cost stuff. My guess is, no matter what you do with your water, your rust problem will remain. Can you replace the things that are rusting with more corrosion resistant stainless?

For example, I had a grill made from 303 stainless. It became deeply and heavily pitted with rust, and parts of it rusted through. I replaced it with a grill that was made from 304. This new grill is as shiny as the day it was new, same use, same environment, better stainless steel, no rust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.