Salt Water Startup for Whoever May Be Interested

Copperhead

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 29, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Water change year, I will log the startup and post all my numbers in the interest of helping anyone with a similar pool and water here in the Southwest.

Just changed the water. Cartridge filters require no back washing so no water is evacuated from the pool except by evaporation. Concentrations of minerals get to such levels that here in Phoenix, keeping your water clear in year three is very sketchy. So we change the water every other year.

Because we never back wash, less water is actually wasted this way, "so they say".

Observations so far:

Pressure washer is awesome!! Using a less aggressive tip, cleaning the filters is very much quicker than using the super duper concentrated filter cleaning nozzles on a garden hose.

Water pressure is amazing here currently. Using three hose bibs on my house and the water leveler, pool filled in less than eleven hours. I can't ever remember it filling this quickly.

Pool Pilot salt system is soooo much better than the OEM salt system. Cell had very little calcium on it and it hosed right off.

Started with 200# salt, after a couple hours of pump running salt showed 3300 ppm. After two days of regular pump cycles salt level was 2900 so I added another bag last night.

PH is not correct yet, 3 gallons acid so far. After I get it balanced I will check the CYA to see how close we got it with the Pool Calculator.

When everything tests right I will post all numbers and everything used.

Copperhead

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 29, 2009
Chandler, AZ
OK, running normal pump time cycle for three days with the AutoPilot set at 60% power I am up to proper chlorine level. 3-1/2 gallons of acid over these three days brought my ph to the correct number.
240# salt - current number is 3100. I will keep an eye on this, traditionally it wanes a little during the first month or two but then climbs slowly for the rest of the two years from all the salt in our water.
It was late last night when I tested, but now that the basics are there I will run all the tests in the kit and post.