Salt water pool - lower alkalinity and higher chlorine

kenpee

Jul 4, 2021
Florida
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
New pool owner. Hot weather in S FL And pool is usually around 90. Have a salt water generator. My salt water generator is set to 60.

im new to testing as well but I have strips and a dpd kit.

Seems like Alkalinity is around 80 but free chlorine is high. Cyuranic acid seems fine. Combined chlorine seems 0.

How should I try to lower the free chlorine?

Free chlorine will lower on its own, so there's no need to make it fall. The biggest concern is that you don't seem to have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. We know strips are horrible, and if you only have a DPD kit you're missing out on badly needed accuracy. I would recommend obtaining one of those kits and posting a full set of results. With accurate results, we can certainly guide you better.

Free chlorine will lower on its own, so there's no need to make it fall. The biggest concern is that you don't seem to have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. We know strips are horrible, and if you only have a DPD kit you're missing out on badly needed accuracy. I would recommend obtaining one of those kits and posting a full set of results. With accurate results, we can certainly guide you better.
I have the Taylor Technologies K-1004-1 Test Kit Residential Trouble-Shooter DPD. Does that lack a particularly important test That the TF-100 covers? Thanks

Hello,
I've been trying to learn how to properly test my pool but I've been struggling a bit. Here's a step by step walk through of what I've done and the results.

Test kits:
IMG_6975.jpeg

1. Aquachek 7 Strip:
IMG_6988.jpeg
  • Total Alkalinity looked a little low to me. It matched best with the color for 40.

2. Aquacheck Salt (Sodium Chloride) strip:
IMG_6989.jpeg

• I think this lined up best with 1,920ppm, but I'm not positive.
  • Would 1,920ppm be low?
    • If that's low, should I turn my SWG higher?

3. Aquachek Free Chlorine strip:
IMG_6990.jpeg
  • Total Alkalinity seemed to line up best with 40, which would be on the low side.
    • If so, should I turn my SWG higher?
  • PH appears to line up best with 6.8, which would be on the low side.
    • If so, what should I do about this?
4. Taylor 6 Way: Free Chlorine and Total Bromine:
IMG_6992.jpeg
  • Free Chlorine didn't appear to match any to my eyes, so it may be too high.
    • What should I do?
  • Bromine didn't appear to match any to my eyes, so it may be too high.
    • What should I do?

5. Taylor 6 Way: Total Chlorine:

IMG_6994.jpeg
  • Total Chlorine also didn't appear to match any colors to my eyes.
    • What should I do?
6. Taylor 6 Way: pH:
IMG_6995.jpeg
  • pH appears to line up with 8.2.
    • Is this high?
    • What should I do?
7. Taylor 6 Way: Total Alkalinity:
IMG_6996.jpeg

• It turned from green to purple after 8 drops.
  • So that means 80ppm, which sounds like it's on the low end.
    • What should I do?

-----

Thanks for any help in advance. I'm not sure if I'm misreading results, have poor test kits, or what. My SWG was installed about a month ago. I haven't used any other chemicals. I did just start to notice some algae in a few spots above the water line in the grout:

Attachments

• IMG_6956.jpg
    IMG_6956.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 6
The combined thread shows you are trying to use a pieced together set of test kits.

The strips are trash. Throw them away. We will not provide guidance based on them.

You need a FAS-DPD test for FC/CC testing.

Your TA of 80 ppm is fine.

Lower your pH to 7.6. The TC is above 5 ppm. But most likely not above 10 ppm. You need a proper test kit.

The combined thread shows you are trying to use a pieced together set of test kits.

The strips are trash. Throw them away. We will not provide guidance based on them.

You need a FAS-DPD test for FC/CC testing.

Your TA of 80 ppm is fine.

Lower your pH to 7.6. The TC is above 5 ppm. But most likely not above 10 ppm. You need a proper test kit.
Can you please just recommend me a solid kit? Don’t really care about cost. Just want to buy and use one that folks like yourself find to be suitable so I don’t keep wasting money trying to guess and piece some together. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suggest the TF-100 / TFPro or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

The TFPro Salt from TFTestkits.net is your best value. It will include a SmartStir and the salinity test kit. In Florida, you need the salinity test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.