Salt seems to have turned water yellow

Tatum4701

May 8, 2020
Turlock, California
I set up my pool last week, after having issues on our first attempt with the legs sinking into our sandy soil, until the pool was 2 inches off, and also with suspected mustard algae.

We used 12 x 12 pavers this time under the legs and they are working great. The pool is perfectly level.

I cleaned out the pool when empty really well, then soaked the floor in a high bleach solution, and brushed down the walls with it.

After filling the pool, the water was crystal clear. I noticed dust on the floor of the pool right away. I added bleach for a few days, and kept brushing up the dust. We do have 150 ft mature trees in our front yard, and have tilled up our soil in the backyard. It's been windy, and we have dogs, so we've had a lot of dust blowing around.

I kept the pool with bleach for a few days, then added 4 bags of Clorox Pool Salt, and more bleach. Within 2 hours the water took on a yellowish tint.

Has anyone heard of this happening from pool salt?? It's been a few days, and the yellow is remaining. It happened last time also, but I added the salt at night, and didn't make the connection.

Here are my last test levels.

FC 10.5
CC 1.5
pH 7.8
A. 120
CH 110
CYA 40

Clorox brand salt is known to contain iron and stain pool surfaces. It sounds like yours is still in the rust phase in the water. Filter it out. Check your cartridge filter to see if it is brown.

Reactions: Tatum4701

Reactions: Tatum4701
I did read something about iron and chlorine creating a yellow color in water! On my last cartridge filter change yesterday afternoon, the cartridge was nearly all DARK brown.

We've got the metal pool ladder in the pool. One day the foot slipped off, and a ton of rusty water poured into the pool. Once after filling the pool this time, the residue on the bottom of the pool was rust colored. The rest of the time it's been a tan color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.