Salt ppm readings differentiate

antr

Apr 29, 2019
Long Island NY
I have a salt water system. My hand held salt dip tester reads about 3200ppm on a 15x24x54. The swg is reading around 3200 when it first kicks on the shoots up around 4400ppm and flashes high salt. The store employee said to go by what the generator reads as it cycles the whole pool and not just the cup of water from the salt dip tool. What are your thought on this? My first swg was 3 months old and started flashing high salt. It did t have the lcd for ppm readout. They replaced it with this new one.

I have the newer version. It has a digital display. both units where Flashing high salt. Both units chlorinate up to 4800ppm I was told.

Do you think I should follow the hand tester ppm or the chlorinator ppm.

When in doubt, you have to get at least one or two more independent salinity tests.

I recommend the K-1766.

One is wrong, but you can't tell without more information.

I don't see anything about the tester being able to be calibrated. Are you sure that it is calibratable?

Maybe get a calibration solution to verify that it's accurate even if it can't be calibrated.

Last edited:
I cant see anything about calibration either. In making it simple they have removed a basic function, I wouldn’t use or trust a meter I cant calibrate. I have had conflicting results from meters in the past and resorted to the K-1766.

I use a salt meter which is a glorified TDS meter that applies a best guess conversion factor. I calibrate mine regularly and then check it every time prior to use with a standard solution. That gives me a value to enter into the log and I can see how that value changes over time but I don’t use it to add salt.

I only add salt when my SWG says its low salt and that always matches my historical trend. Its the swg you need to keep happy, it produces the chlorine not the meter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.