Winnie/Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I just converted my pool to salt. My SWG recommended levels is 3000 to 4000. The calculator said to add 13 bags to reach 3500. I did that. It's now 4800. It has been 24hrs of circulation. Will this level go down a bit? Do I need to lower it?

Did you test the salinity before adding any salt?

Brush the pool real well and test again this afternoon. You likely need to drain some water.

E,

The app assumes that you have zero salt in the water when you start. If you have been using the pool before switching to salt, you should have tested the salt before you began. Pools can often have 1000 ppm of salt, even if they are not saltwater pools.

How are you measuring the actual salt level?

What SWCG do you have?

Thanks,

Jim R

How much rain do you get? If considerable, you can delay turning on the SWG. After significant rain and if you have overflow from the pool, the level of salt will come down. After overflow, then test again with your K-1766 and when the salt gets down to 4000 ppm then turn on the SWG. I only say this because you have written you are on a well.

I
E,

The app assumes that you have zero salt in the water when you start. If you have been using the pool before switching to salt, you should have tested the salt before you began. Pools can often have 1000 ppm of salt, even if they are not saltwater pools.

How are you measuring the actual salt level?

What SWCG do you have?

Thanks,

Jim R
It's a fresh fill. I did test it. Using the Taylor kit. It came up 0 at the beginning. I have a cirupool RJ45.

Also, the SWG unit says 3300. If I drop the level to meet 3500 using the Taylor kit wouldn't that drop it on the SWG unit and cause a low salt shutoff?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I think I might know what's going on. My SWG Average finally caught up and is now giving my a high salt warning at 4800 PPM. Which is matching the Taylor test kit. So I started wondering how can the numbers using the PoolMath be so off? I think the estimated gallons of my pool given to me by PoolMath is wrong. It says my pool is 17700 gallons. Every other pool calculator is giving me 15919. That would explain the over abundance of salt that I added. Any thoughts?

It is always best practice to add chemicals that persist in the pool water in smaller amounts than dosing the entire calculated recommendation all at once. Work toward the desired ppm target with confirmation testing to avoid over application due to incorrect assumptions of the calculation.

Some online calculators assume that the water level is going to 6" below the depth that you give them, so they subtract that during the calculation. PoolMath doesn't assume that and uses the actual number you enter. A 54" deep pool actually holds about 48" of water, so you basically had 6" less water than you told it you had, and that's most likely the reason for the discrepancy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.