Salt Pool, low TA & PH, Bacardi turned water blue and cloudy

Lilyt

Mar 28, 2016
Tampa, fl
Why did the pool turn blue and cloudy after I added PH up. (I did not add bicarbonate or Bacardi, sorry). I think the blue is my surface. What if anything should I do next?

Here are the readings I have using a Taylor Test kit.

Out of salt strips so no reading

Chlorine 3
CYA 70
TA 20
PH 7
temp 73

Which Taylor test kit did you use?? How do you sanitize your pool???

Why is your FC, pH and TA so low???

We need to know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

You may be showing an algae bloom considering that your CYA is 70 but your FC is only 3. Did you perform a CC test?

Check this out: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Yippee :flower:

It's a salt pool, pentagram cell. Taylor k2005.

FC 3
CC - didn't test for it. Will tomorrow.
PH 7
TA 20
CH - didn't test for it. Will tomorrow.
CYA 70

The PH was really high last week so I added some acid. The CYA was really low last week so I added some conditioner.

Ah, you need to update the test kit with the DPD-FAS chlorine test to have the equivalent test kit we recommend. You can order that easily from
tftestkits.net for about $30. Otherwise how can you test properly the higher FC and CC?

Your pool is cloudy.... sounds like algae. Time to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test: Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Make sure you turn the SWG off for this. If it shows a loss >1 you need to SLAM! SLAM Process

Did you use PoolMath to guide you in how much MA and CYA to add? You need to get that TA up also please. Your pool being plaster needs to be protected from such big swings in pH and TA.

Yip :flower:

Well, I don't *think* that made it cloudy but I could be wrong. By the way, all that is is soda ash. A cheaper source for this is Borax Washing Soda that you sometimes see in the laundry aisle next to the Borax boxes (Soda ash is not to be confused with Borax laundry booster!) Brush the pool well to keep everything in circulation.

Leave your filter on 24/7 and finish getting your TA up. Then see if the cloudy water clears or continues. If it continues its time for a SLAM. Add some extra liquid chlorine in the meantime though.

Maybe I ​should have added Bacardi, lol. Thanks

btw, my husband just reminded me to say that they same thing (instantly cloudy pool) happened a couple of months ago when he added bicarbonate which is why he bought the PH up product to use instead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the Soda could make it cloudy, so we cant just say it didn't for sure. Especially since we dont know what the CH level is.

Sudden upward pH changes are often synonymous with clouding water because things can precipitate out with the sudden increase.

Its ok, it will clear, but lets slow down for a minute. We've just made two major up/down changes to some major parameters and we need to get on the right track, and take some breaths.

You do need the TA to come up, and it will quickly with that pH if its close to 7.0. Add baking soda until we see 60 or so TA. Let the pool filter, run a fresh set tomorrow, and it may look better. Don't make any other big changes yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.