Salt level discrepancies

Russmd

May 14, 2013
I have a 40,000 gal plaster pool with a Circupool salt generator. Recently, I've been getting some widely disparate readings from different testing methods.

Just now:
Cell - 3100
Pool man - 3200 (electronic)
Dipstick - 3200
Taylor K-1766 (twice) - 3800
Leslie's - 3616

I know it may seem strange but I can get a good idea of the salt level by just the taste of the water, and my inclination is that it's more towards those high values. I'm sure others note that but may not admit it :) Unfortunately, my pool man got a low reading on his meter last week at 2900 and added a bag of salt. Now I think my level is really at the high end.

My feeling is to go with the Taylor test kit result above the others. It's new and reagents are fresh. I know that the electronic methods have a lot of error in them but my dipstick (Leslie's with the brown line) usually has been pretty close in the past. Any other thoughts/ideas?

Thanks,
Russ

Reactions: PoolStored
The cell is the least accurate. The Taylor is the most accurate. 3800 is not too high. But you probably didn't need that recent bag.

Reactions: Russmd
Pool man - 3200 (electronic)
Dipstick - 3200
No need to repeat yourself. :laughblue:

I'd say the discrepancy is pretty much what we'd expect.

Test strips and the cell are arguably the least accurate, and the pool store is (usually but also arguably) closer to the k1766 than the other 2.

But if the actual level was 3500, all the tests would be considered within the acceptable variance of +/- 400 ppm. I'd still trust the Taylor though.

Unfortunately, my pool man got a low reading on his meter last week at 2900 and added a bag of salt. Now I think my level is really at the high end
One bag is 120ppm in 40k gallons per poolmath, it might not even be detectable after adding.

• Haha
Reactions: Russmd and dfwnoob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.