Salt is HIGH!!!!

RoyR

Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2018
Escondido/CA
Does the Taylor SALT K-1766 kit go bad?

The date on the it says test used by 3/20...

Did my last Salt test around April, and the test indicated 3200ppm....todays 7/10 the test indicated 8600ppm?

The IC60 salt reading is 3600....

I started noticing small flakes of salt in my Dolphin, and that started the goose chase.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 3.45.47 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 3.45.47 PM.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 10
unless you dumped in ~500 lbs of salt that is unlikely to be accurate ( didnt actually do the pool math but it would be a LOT )

ok i couldnt stand it - pool math says to raise my pool to 8600 would take 914 more lbs of salt ...

8600ppm of salt sounds very high. I don’t think the reagents typically go bad, but there could have been some sort of testing error. I would try to do the test again and see if you get different results.

Keep in mind that salt will stay dissolved in water at much much greater concentrations than we keep in a pool. The ocean is at about 36,000ppm and there still isn’t undissolved salt in the ocean.

What appears to be flakes of salt in your cleaner is probably scale instead.

I found a big difference in how you shake the kit..If you just gently shake it mine was reading 4000 but my SWG said low salt.
When I went back and did it more aggressive shaking it after every 2 drops it read 2600 which was correct

Mine was reading 4000 using video 1 but cell said low salt..Was about to return my SWG when I watched a taylor one showing them shake it and it read 2800 or lower..Cell ran that way for a moth or 2 until the water got hot, guess it was on the border line.

This one read way high around 4000

This one is the correct one IMHO read 2800 before adding 4 more bags

Oh boy, the heat must be affecting my brain, used a 25 ml sample, sigh...retested sitting at 3600.

Will get my boys to do some cannonballs to get rid of some water! :)
Happens to many. Instructions mention 25 ml tube then talk about putting 10 ml in it so it's an easy mistake to make.

Glad this was all that was wrong!

Chris

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Helps to use a sample sizer. No more flicking, refilling and squinting and the tube in the kit is calibrated for it. This is one of the handiest ways there are to make all the tests much quicker. Please see this video.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
1594429773552.png

@markayash, thanks for posting those videos. The one thing I learned from them is that I was going way too far and letting it get much darker when I was testing my salt. My SWG has always read a few hundred ppm lower than I was getting with the Taylor test, but I just figured that the SWG was inaccurate, but now I think my salt level has been at least 200ppm lower than I thought it was. Maybe even more than that. I’ll test again tomorrow to see where it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.