Salt eating pump motor?

It’s called a seal leak. Left to leak and destroy the motor. The pump is most likely fine.
The salt water did not cause it.

That is a major seal leak over an extended amount of time... yes it will do that if left alone for a long time.. I bet it leaked the whole 3 years...

I have a Pentair pump for 5 years and it just started to leak and I have been salt water since the pool was first filled.. I have no damage at all on my motor, I can take pictures of it tonight when I get home... I changed out my old motor for the new V-Green VS motor...

I bet your pump end if perfect and you could also get a new V-Green VS motor and be good to go :)

You will need to find out if your old motor was a square of round flange and what size it was.. Also ask them for a pump seal repair kit and a saltwater seal kit for your pump, I used one in my new install as it is a better seal...

Reactions: mguzzy
As others have already commented it's a seal leak. Usually this happens after year 5, not sure why yours is so early but it's not the salt. I've seen many just like this after 5 years in a non-salt pool. Replace the seal which is usually $20-$30. Your motor bearing is almost certainly in need of replacement also but the long skinny bolts that hold the motor together will be frozen into the face plate. This will cause them to twist off and require a well-equipped DIY shop to complete. I'd go with the V-Green VS motor replacement. I did this a couple years ago and I'm very happy with it ($400 when I did mine).

Good luck and please fill out your signature. It helps our volunteers a lot. Here's how.

Chris

Reactions: cowboycasey
We thought it was an old 1 speed motor not a brand new VS motor... Please get the new seal kit along with the heavy duty saltwater seal... Once you replace the motor make it a habit to check this same area for leaks weekly/monthly and if you see it leaking order a new seal kit and replace...

I do believe you will want this motor but please confirm it before you buy... You can still call Inyo and ask them what the correct motor is for your pump... INYO Pools Customer Support - INYOPools.com

I wouldn't recommend this on a very old pump but for a new pump replacing the motor only is a good way to go. The only reason is that it's a cheaper solution to replace the motor only and if you can get a VS pump at the same time it makes sense. Did for me anyway. Couldn't tell what pump you had and if you have the $ a new Pentair VS pump/motor is a great choice.

Yes, its a leak.. and it can happen at anytime. I put in a new pump motor (and seal) in last season.. and the seal started leaking this month... $20 bux, 20 minutes and I was backup and running. The old seal looked fine, but who knows why it started leaking.

A lot of people are switching older single speed motors with the V-Green VSP so they can (1) save money with a motor that draws less power and (2) be compliant for when the VSP motor requirements become mandatory. If you already had a VSP motor, just replace it with the same. And get a seal kit to replace all your seals while you are at it.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JD,

Seal leak in just one year from a brand new pump is pretty rare for a properly installed unit. Warranties are getting complex though. Where was it purchased from and who installed it? If you had it installed and supplied by an authorized rep it should be covered. If it was purchased online and/or installed by a non-authorized rep it could be it has only 1 year. If this link shows it's covered then I'd escalate. Also call the dealer or company that did the work for warranty coverage. If none of this pans out then I'd replace the seal if it were me. Is the motor making any unusual noise? This could indicate a bearing failure which can mean it won't last long even after a seal replace. You can replace the motor bearing but this is a whole lot more difficult and potentially a dead end if corrosion inside the motor has gone very far. Motor parts for single speed motors are pretty easy to find but I don't think that's the case for VS motors. They are also more difficult to get apart since they have permanent magnets. Maybe a motor shop could offer a rebuild at reasonable cost. This usually isn't possible for single speed motors because the cost of replace is so cheap it's not profitable for the shop to repair. These VS motors are so much more expensive that repair may be win win. Hopefully the motor's not showing bearing damage yet and all you need is a seal replace in the pump.

Good luck!

Chris

Culprit below. I cleaned up the motor, primer and painted it where it had corroded. We will see if any internal motor damage reveals itself in the future.

Attachments

• 17A2E31C-11B7-4745-99AB-BCECCA2EC2B3.jpeg
    17A2E31C-11B7-4745-99AB-BCECCA2EC2B3.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: JamesW
I just ordered seal lube... I thought the salt water seal was the best, who knew there is a better one that I just ordered for when the next one goes out... :)

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.