I have an intellichlor salt cell. All last summer I dealt with it not producing any or enough chlorine. So I used mostly liquid chlorine all last summer. This season we have acid washed it, although no scale was visible on the blades and it did not bubble up. I was told a few weeks ago at the pool store that I had high levels of phosphates in the water and this would cause the chlorine to be used up as fast as it could be produced. Should I proceed with a phosphate treatment? The SWG system itself does not show any error messages and does not have any scale, so I don't know if it has simply gone bad and time to replace. It is probably 4 to 5 years old.