Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Been having A LOT of air in my returns. Have done leak test on suction side with no results. Found however that if I turn salt cell off the bubbles stop, as soon as I turn it on the bubbles return. I understand that the salt cell with create some bubbles because of the chlorine reaction however, and I know it's a bit hard to see in the pic wish we could post video, it will literally look like smoke coming out of the returns because it's so heavy with bubbles. If left on long enough the entire pool water will fill with tiny bubbles that you can see floating around that make water look hazy. I have lubed the gasket on the salt cell with no effect. Anyone have any thoughts as to why and how to fix?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210629-052155_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210629-052155_Messages.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20210629-072102_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210629-072102_Gallery.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 22

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Well, the bubbles that a saltwater generator creates are hydrogen, which is flammable.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
there is nothing to fix, some SWG make more bubbles than others and that is telling you the SWG is working... :)

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
T,

While SWCGs do make Champaign-like bubbles, they normally dissipate pretty quickly and they should not fill the entire pool with tiny bubbles.

I have no idea what the problem is, but let's ask Matt if some chemical issue could cause this problem... Calling @JoyfulNoise

Thanks,

Jim R.

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
There have been reports of this phenomenon happening a lot lately. The SWGs in question seem to create a micro-bubble stream that acts a lot like a mist you might see emanating from a humidifier. The bubbles are so small that buoyancy forces are minimal thus allowing them to “hang” in the water longer than a larger bubble. We seen reports of pools completely clouding up when the SWG runs.

Do you have a single speed, 2-speed, or variable speed pump?

What is the % output on the SWG you typically run at?

what is your water temperature?

What are your full test results?

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Donldson

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio
@JoyfulNoise Is there any off the shelf way to test the sulfate level? OP has had what appears to be calcium crystals collecting in the water and its source has yet to be identified. Seeing what appears to be a fairly opaque cloud coming from the returns makes me wonder if there's a connection.

Between these things and the alleged 70 gallon antifreeze addition the pool closers made, I'm starting to wonder if a complete drain and restart wouldn't be the answer with the least question marks attached now.

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
@JoyfulNoise Is there any off the shelf way to test the sulfate level? OP has had what appears to be calcium crystals collecting in the water and its source has yet to be identified. Seeing what appears to be a fairly opaque cloud coming from the returns makes me wonder if there's a connection.

Between these things and the alleged 70 gallon antifreeze addition the pool closers made, I'm starting to wonder if a complete drain and restart wouldn't be the answer with the least question marks attached now.

Oh. I did not realize this was the same pool. Kind of need to keep these threads together.

Just test the mineral deposit with muriatic acid, the results will tell us a lot. There’s no easy/accurate test for sulfates.

Antifreeze might an issue. But we have seen these micro bubble issues in non-contaminated pools.

TRUK71

Jul 21, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I'm wondering if its a plumbing leak?
I've done the garden hose test on everything on suction side with no indication of a leak. Have a pressure test scheduled. Relubed the main basket seal and swg lid with not reduction in bubble output.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

TRUK71

Jul 21, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
There have been reports of this phenomenon happening a lot lately. The SWGs in question seem to create a micro-bubble stream that acts a lot like a mist you might see emanating from a humidifier. The bubbles are so small that buoyancy forces are minimal thus allowing them to “hang” in the water longer than a larger bubble. We seen reports of pools completely clouding up when the SWG runs.

VSP. Normally around 30% - 40%. Water temp in mid to high 80s on a sunny day. Water tests are on my pool math. What you describe is exactly what I see.

TRUK71

Jul 21, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Oh. I did not realize this was the same pool. Kind of need to keep these threads together.

Just test the mineral deposit with muriatic acid, the results will tell us a lot. There’s no easy/accurate test for sulfates.

Antifreeze might an issue. But we have seen these micro bubble issues in non-contaminated pools.
I've tested mineral deposits with muratic acid with positive fizzing reaction. Assuming it's calcium.

TRUK71

Jul 21, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Another question is how full should the swg be of water? 100% full? Mine covers the fins but not much higher than that. Is that normal?

TRUK71

Jul 21, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei

I assumed since it's been well over a month the antifreeze issue would be gone other than driving up my tds.

TRUK71

Jul 21, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei

Screenshot_20210629-105548.jpg

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
At what rpm are you running your pump?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
High flow rates disperse the hydrogen bubbles. Normal operation.

TRUK71

Jul 21, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Your saying it's normal? They fill the entire pool of tiny suspended bubbles that make water look cloudy. Seems extreme.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.