Safety Cover Vendors on the Internet

fields_g

Dec 25, 2014
Rockville, MD
Our pool has never had a safety cover. It is a freeform pool with extreme dimensions of 22x42 and no obstructions. We got a quote from a local vendor for a Loop Loc cover for $4100. Of course I'm working to get some other local quotes. First off... is this in the right ballpark?

Second, I know my way around a hammer drill and I see online submissions for cover quotes. Is a DIY install difficult? Are there online companies /products someone would like to endorse?

Our pool has never had a safety cover. It is a freeform pool with extreme dimensions of 22x42 and no obstructions. We got a quote from a local vendor for a Loop Loc cover for $4100. Of course I'm working to get some other local quotes. First off... is this in the right ballpark?

Yes.

Second, I know my way around a hammer drill and I see online submissions for cover quotes. Is a DIY install difficult? Are there online companies /products someone would like to endorse?

Depends on your deck materials and where you need the anchors placed.

I have a free form pool I care for with an old loop lock quote. Very old like 13 years ago and at the time they quoted $1800.00 size is somewhat similar give or take. The anchors have to be strategically placed especially on a free form. I'm not sure you want to go down that path. I would say on a rectangular cover probability yes.

Try getting quotes from the online stores. There are many out there that sell various brands of covers. From what I understand all the covers basically drop ship from the manufacturer so no difference in what you get from store to store. The price you are getting is turnkey with the pool guy coming out measuring and drawing and then ordering and installing the cover. If you order the cover yourself you can probably get it installed for $300-400 above the cost of the cover. The price for a stock 16x40 Loop-Loc mesh is about $1100 (custom will be more $). The issue with a free form pool is that you have to know what you are doing with the measuring on the drawing, and if you mess up be ready to eat the price of the cover. Loop-Loc is also more expensive than the others with equivalent quality/warranty (GLI, Latham, Meyco etc) because they have more name recognition.

Are you saying that a pool company will likely charge $300-400 more than their product cost, or are you saying that if I buy my own cover, I could find hire someone to install for $300 - $400, or both?

No, I mean if you order the cover yourself you could find someone to drill the holes and install for 300-400. For turn key service, meaning they come out and measure the pool and draw the diagram and accept responsibility for any mess ups in the ordering you will pay a lot more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If this trend continues we won’t have anyone to do our pools, plumbing, electrical etc. Make sure you’re comparing apples to apples, not all covers are stitched as well as others, the same goes for 3’ spacing versus 5’ spacing of the nylon webbing. Hammer drills aren’t cheap, nor are their bits.

If this trend continues we won’t have anyone to do our pools, plumbing, electrical etc. Make sure you’re comparing apples to apples, not all covers are stitched as well as others, the same goes for 3’ spacing versus 5’ spacing of the nylon webbing. Hammer drills aren’t cheap, nor are their bits.

It was the same cover manufacturer. Since I was replacing the old one they made it was just finding a middle man because they don’t deal directly with customers. The company that installed the original cover went out of business. The company the manufacturer recommended was going to install the cheapest cover they made and relocate all the anchor points.

Hey all. Decision was made. With original quotes, I could get the same Loop Loc cover about $500 cheaper online. Local added another $200 tax. I was able to talk the local vendor's cover price down about ~$350, so local cover cost was $150 more (Tax a wash since I'd declare the price to the State fore taxes anyway, right?). They will take responsibility for measurements and do install for $450. All in all, giving up on the DIY install will reduce my wife's stress and give us some more precious weekend time.

Thanks for the comments.

Reactions: Pool_Medic
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.