Safety Cover has Torn Edging - Cover Stuck!

May 20, 2018
PORTAGE-MICHIGAN
I have a close to 7 year old Cover Pool's pool cover. Kept in excellent shape ... opened and closed once a day .... 6 months out of the year.

Never had any issues with the fabric - seams or edge binding.

Last fall I upgraded the old rope w/ stainless steel pull wire. My cover company in Michigan did the work. The T4 upgrade kit was added also. Worked perfectly the end of the season in 2019 and all of 2020 so far. Occasionally when opening it only ... the motor would bind a bit and stop ... I immediately stopped the motor and closed it a for a foot or so and then it would re-open fine without binding.

Yesterday - another family member tried to open it and let the motor bind (noise and cover stopped opening) for 5-10 seconds and it put enough tension/stress on the SS rope/wire that the side connecting seam tore free from the cover about 4-5 feet. The vinyl cover didn't rip at all ... sew holes are fine ... just the stitching pulled out and tore loose from the vinyl cover.

What is the best way to repair the top?

My idea is ...

A - I know the cover will need to be manually disconnected from the leading metal edge pole ...

B - cover wound back up so the cover webbing and SS cable is out of the track .....

C - resew new webbing on that area and check the webbing on the rest of the top edges to see if any area is rotted.

Have my Cover Pool tech reinstall the top and adjust.

I am open to the wisdom of my peers and the cover techs ... :)

Pics included.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Entire Cover.jpg
    Entire Cover.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 31
  • Torn Seam 7-25-20 -1.jpg
    Torn Seam 7-25-20 -1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Torn Seam 7-25-20 -2.jpg
    Torn Seam 7-25-20 -2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 31
Yikes! What a bummer. :( Shame that no one has replied after several weeks. I figured it was time to give this thread a kick in the rear to help get it visibility. Plus, you will be looking to close in the next 30-60 days, so I suspect you need this resolved ASAP. Post back as much as you need to. Someone is bound to reply. Good luck!

If you just had the ropes replaced, but the cover is 7 years old............that webbing has given you all it had. Not a fan of the new steel cable ropes either, but I'm also just a biased Coverstar installer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.