Safe to use stain and scale remove on vinyl pool

iwillhaveapoolthissummer

Apr 13, 2021
riverside, ca usa
Hello I have scale build up . Hard water , also didn’t check my ph for a long time. It was 8+ over the marker

I’m just starting to get my ph down to 7.2. Had it there about 3 weeks now. Keeps going up fast , I think because of algae . I’ve trying scrubbing and scrubbing. Some comes off but not all of it . I’m getting tired so I was hoping I could use this Leslie’s stain and scale remove

My issue is that I have calcium build up and algae is stuck to it. Im not sure if I’ll ever finish my slam process if I have the algae stuck to the calcium . No matter how much is scrub. My walls are yellow in some areas.

So I want to get rid of it. My liner feels like sand paper . Any advice would be appreciated.

Level current are
chlorine 1.0
Ph 7.8
Alkalinity 180
Calcium hardness 340
Cya 15ish

Attachments

• 3D966733-1FAB-4CE1-AA78-E9F7F57B0480.jpeg
    3D966733-1FAB-4CE1-AA78-E9F7F57B0480.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    738.2 KB · Views: 17
I've never dealt with this though I've heard once there's calcium on the liner it's there to stay. No idea if that's true

BUT if you're having algae concerns allowing your FC to drop to 1ppm is the last thing you should be doing regardless

You are not going to get rid of your algae problems with CYA of 15ish and FC 1.

You cannot finish your SLAM Process if you never follow the proces.

The Stain and Scale remover is a form of citric acid. It is more for removing iron stains and will remove scale by lowering pH and CSI. It will also eat up your chlorine which will cause the algae to grow again.

While we say that CSI does not matter in vinyl pools in your case it does.

Adjust your water chemistry for your CSI to be around -0.6 or even less and it should dissolve the scale over time. It will take as long to dissolve the scale as it took to grow it. So don’t look for immediate magic results.

Start by following the SLAM Process step by step with no shortcuts.

Do you use PoolMath?

You are not going to get rid of your algae problems with CYA of 15ish and FC 1.

You cannot finish your SLAM Process if you never follow the proces.

The Stain and Scale remover is a form of citric acid. It is more for removing iron stains and will remove scale by lowering pH and CSI. It will also eat up your chlorine which will cause the algae to grow again.

While we say that CSI does not matter in vinyl pools in your case it does.

Adjust your water chemistry for your CSI to be around -0.6 or even less and it should dissolve the scale over time. It will take as long to dissolve the scale as it took to grow it. So don’t look for immediate magic results.

Start by following the SLAM Process step by step with no shortcuts.

Do you use PoolMath?

Hello,
thank you for taking the time to help. i'm aware of the slam process. I've had to do it once before. If i'm correct, if you don't remove all the algae, it can continue to survive in the pool. I guess my concern is that. If the algae is stuck to the calcium build up, or if its under the calcium. I'll always have algae until the calcium is removed. If it took 4 months, for this calcium build up to get as bad as it is, it may take 4 months to remove all the calcium. So this may take my slam process 4 months to complete. At that rate, it might be best to start fresh with a new liner.

Please let me know if this sounds accurate. Thank you again. If someone thinks i can complete the slam, having yellow scale on my walls. please let me know . Thanks for all your help :)

I would give a proper SLAM Process a try.

It may take a few cycles of SLAM Process then lower CSI then repeat.

Once the SLAM Process is completed and you lower the CIS below -0.6 and keep it there I would maintain at least 1/2 SLAM FC level for your CYA and never let your FC drop below that. That FC level should eradicate any algae as it is released from the scale.

So the SLAM Process and then maintain your water chemistry with low CSI and high FC should fix things over time. Give it a few months and be patient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.