Safe solvent for vinyl

Mar 12, 2008
Putnam Co., NY
Hi, I'm new to this forum. We just had paver decking installed around our vinyl sided inground pool. The contractor didn't clean up the conststruction adhesive used on the coping blocks so I have cured adhesive on the liner. Does anyone have a recommendation for removing? Solvents that I've found say "not for vinyl" and scraping will just make holes/cuts. Thanks very much in advance.

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Do you have a container or know the exact adhesive used? I would contact the manufacturer before trying anything. Some adhesives become easier to deal with after some UV exposure by the sun.

Mar 12, 2008
Putnam Co., NY
Just a happy update. I posted this concern about adhesive on the liner way before opening the pool. I was needlessly worried. The construction adhesive that fell in the water probably cured half-way on its way to the bottom of the pool so I just picked up the blobs with my hands once the pool topped 70 degrees. The adhesive around the coping also came off pretty easy without solvents (used a credit card). I called the manufacturer of the adhesive and they recommended using acetone. I thought it couldn't be good for vinyl, but didn't need it after all. The moral of the story - glue on vinyl is no big deal. Either it wasn't a good hold to begin with or like you said, UV broke it down.

Thanks again.