Champaign, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hello, our pool actually isn’t done yet. We have noticed some areas of rusting. Is this to be expected? Is there anything we can do to prevent it?

Attachments

• D9B5994E-C628-4354-80A2-55114CD6476B.jpeg
    D9B5994E-C628-4354-80A2-55114CD6476B.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 11F8865A-3266-4410-B4E9-2092461CB553.jpeg
    11F8865A-3266-4410-B4E9-2092461CB553.jpeg
    683.1 KB · Views: 29
Point it out to your builder and tell him to use higher quality materials.

He is saying it is because our pool is salt (which he did not want us to get). Does anyone have any advice on what to say? Our chemistry is fine.

You say your pool is not done yet. What is the status of your pool?

What is your water chemistry?

All the chemistries are within normal range except the total alkalinity is high at 150. It is hard for me to get that down right now because our slide has a leak in it so I do not have a great way to aerate if I drop the pH. I ended up just calling the manufacturer myself and they said it should not be rusting (it is an SR Smith Marine grade hand rail) and basically told me on the phone they would replace it if I sent them pictures and the serial number.

He is saying it is because our pool is salt
I wish I had a big "face plant" GIF here. Really irks me when people, especially people who are supposed to be professionals, use that as an excuse for using materials that will in fact rust, in any environment, and use the old "must be salt" excuse as an out.

The marine grade hand rail may just be a manufacturing issue and it rusted early, but the rust on the concrete that straps down that pipe looks like it was gonna rust if there was salt water, or any water there. How far away from the pool water is that pipe clamp?

BTW, was just in Champaign this weekend!

I wish I had a big "face plant" GIF here. Really irks me when people, especially people who are supposed to be professionals, use that as an excuse for using materials that will in fact rust, in any environment, and use the old "must be salt" excuse as an out.

The marine grade hand rail may just be a manufacturing issue and it rusted early, but the rust on the concrete that straps down that pipe looks like it was gonna rust if there was salt water, or any water there. How far away from the pool water is that pipe clamp?

BTW, was just in Champaign this weekend!
I’m not sure what a pipe clamp is but the rail is attached through the coping so it is only a couple of inches from the pool. I don’t think there is actually rust on the pavers, there is an area that looks a little bit darker but I think that is the grout they were using to attach the pavers to the edge of the pool. The second picture is actually the equipment pad but the pool builder said he just used regular metal there so it was expected to rust (there was initially a leak which he fixed so there had been water there for quite a while). I just wish I knew enough about rust/salt/rails to put my foot down as given the pool hasn’t even been handed over to us yet I don’t think I should be the one having to deal with this issue! We don’t even use the rail as it is on the side of the pool opposite the house so I just can’t believe it is already rusting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.