bmbrian

May 23, 2021
Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, I have a 27ft round pool,18 yr old. I replaced the liner 5 years ago, and at that time I covered a hole in the wall and put in a small aluminum patch. I wire brushed the wall panted it with rust paint. Now the damage is back. When I went to fill this season, water came in around the gasket. When I took a closer look I see the damage is worse than expected. I was going to pull back the beaded liner, clean up the area and patch with a Jet repair kit. A pool guy I know told me that if it did that,I may lose liner and or not be able to get the beaded liner back on track. My second option would be to apply some silicone or flex seal between the liner and outside wall. Reinstall jet and light. Get the year out of it.

Attachments

• C7066086-E734-448A-A6A5-922D6700E1FC.jpeg
    C7066086-E734-448A-A6A5-922D6700E1FC.jpeg
    477.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 5BD72218-7866-4548-9CD2-435F005F6FD9.jpeg
    5BD72218-7866-4548-9CD2-435F005F6FD9.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hi, I have a 27ft round pool,18 yr old. I replaced the liner 5 years ago, and at that time I covered a hole in the wall and put in a small aluminum patch. I wire brushed the wall panted it with rust paint. Now the damage is back. When I went to fill this season, water came in around the gasket. When I took a closer look I see the damage is worse than expected. I was going to pull back the beaded liner, clean up the area and patch with a Jet repair kit. A pool guy I know told me that if it did that,I may lose liner and or not be able to get the beaded liner back on track. My second option would be to apply some silicone or flex seal between the liner and outside wall. Reinstall jet and light. Get the year out of it.
thanks

The liner itself can be patched and the opening re-cut. Water is extremely heavy and I believe you will have to drain the pool completely to see if the wall is repairable. In my experience surface rust on the outside is smaller than surface rust on the inside of the wall. If you have areas that are completely rusted through, those sections will need to be cut out and replaced. Surface rust will need to be removed and the area treated with rust inhibitor. You will also need to tackle this project when you can devote time to work uninterrupted. If you would need to break up the work over several weekends then you should take the pool down to avoid further damage to the walls by having them blown over while the pool is empty, and store the liner folded in a tub of water to prevent it from drying out and shrinking.

For more information on above ground pool wall repairs read Advanced Wall Repair for an Above Ground Pool

Click the link in my signature RIP rusty Vogue pool, to see what happened to my pool.

The liner itself can be patched and the opening re-cut. Water is extremely heavy and I believe you will have to drain the pool completely to see if the wall is repairable. In my experience surface rust on the outside is smaller than surface rust on the inside of the wall. If you have areas that are completely rusted through, those sections will need to be cut out and replaced. Surface rust will need to be removed and the area treated with rust inhibitor. You will also need to tackle this project when you can devote time to work uninterrupted. If you would need to break up the work over several weekends then you should take the pool down to avoid further damage to the walls by having them blown over while the pool is empty, and store the liner folded in a tub of water to prevent it from drying out and shrinking.

For more information on above ground pool wall repairs read Advanced Wall Repair for an Above Ground Pool

Click the link in my signature RIP rusty Vogue pool, to see what happened to my pool.
thanks for the quick response. yes, I reviewed the story. scary.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yeah, you're getting close. 19 years is a good run. As we know, there is usually more to the story underneath what we see on the surface, so the damage could be much worse. Be careful and check it out carefully.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yeah, you're getting close. 19 years is a good run. As we know, there is usually more to the story underneath what we see on the surface, so the damage could be much worse. Be careful and check it out carefully.

thanks for the quick response. yes, I reviewed the story. scary.thanks for the quick response. yes, I reviewed the story. scary.

Update on my rust issue. I had to take a look at the inside of the pool to inspect the damage. We live in a residential community with a fence separating backyards. When I Inspected the inside of the pool I found considerable damage. I thought it was confined to the area near the return but when I sanded down the wall adjacent to the return several pinholes appeared. So, we decided to take down the pool. It was a good run 20 yrs. thanks for your help .

Attachments

• F2617435-4B6B-4479-9D10-690ED2DE2130.jpeg
    F2617435-4B6B-4479-9D10-690ED2DE2130.jpeg
    608.8 KB · Views: 13
  • F3F9F19B-1A90-4C55-B24B-1412CDC9FD1A.jpeg
    F3F9F19B-1A90-4C55-B24B-1412CDC9FD1A.jpeg
    531.6 KB · Views: 12
  • CF382FF4-D6CE-4662-BC2F-1AADA4480F97.jpeg
    CF382FF4-D6CE-4662-BC2F-1AADA4480F97.jpeg
    508.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Wow
Reactions: mariane
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.