Running Polaris 280 off water hose

zz28zz

Mar 26, 2018
Austin, Tx
Heater, multiport valve and filter housing all damaged from freeze. Trying to keep pool as clean as possible while awaiting parts. We have a lot of live oaks in the back yard that normally don't drop a lot of leaves but this year, they are dropping tons of leaves and if the wind is blowing they wind-up in the pool. No pool cover either. After spending a couple of hours every day for a few days now cleaning with a pole net, I'm starting to wonder if there's a better way.

Had the idea that I could run my Polaris 280 pool cleaner for 1/2 hr or so every day using a water hose. I know they don't use full pressure and that they have a regulator built in where hose connects to pool wall. Connecting garden hose directly to the regulator would be a challenge since regulator uses an oddball 1/4 turn connector.

What if I installed my own press regulator at the faucet and rigged up a way to conenct garden hose to pool cleaner hose just downstream of the regulator that normally connects to cleaner hose? I figure I need to add a little water every day anyway due to evaporation, so running garden hose into pool for 30 mins a day would probably offset the loss from evaporation. I already have programmable watering timers, so figured I could use one of those and semi-automate the process (still have to dump the bag every day).

Another option would be to connect water hose to the output hose of booster pump w/o a regulator at faucet. Then slowly tun on faucet until I could feel the pool clean regulator starting to dump press and leave it set there. Actually, I'm liking this idea even more since i wouldn't need to buy a press regulator for faucet.

I don't see any reason why either of these ideas wouldn't work but figured I'd ask before starting this project.

Thx!

Last edited:
Your idea is way above my paygrade, but I would try that for sure if given step by step instructions. Am watching this thread.

Well, garden hose connected directly to output hose from booster pump didn't work out. Not enough flow to maintain press. We run well water at 60 to 90 psi.

Went to "plan C". Water fall pump (2.5 hp single speed) has a place to attach garden hose on outlet. I'm currently using that outlet to keep spa filled. Made hose to connect the water fall pump output hose bib to input of booster pump. Pool cleaner is working like normal now! Just have to switch hoses around so I'm either pumping water into spa or booster pump. Better than nothing I suppose.

Attachments

• 20210308_143237.jpg
    20210308_143237.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.