Running Low RPMs on VSP / Issues with Skimming?

Effers

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2012
Warrenton, VA
I just installed some new pool equipment. Really like what has been done and the performance so far.

My question is: I have seen pool owners post that they run their VSP's under 2500 RPMs. Under 2000 RPMs. And even lower. Do you have issues with the skimmer collecting as well as it should? I have been running mine for the last 24 hours but doesn't seem like the skimmer is pulling like it should. In the past with my single speed 2HP Hayward my skimmer sock would be pulled tight to the basket. Now with the VSP at 2000 RPMs, it is not sucked down.

Am I overly concerned? Thanks.

Don't judge by your skimmer sock suction but how well debris on he water flows into the skimmer. Some folks run their VS pump at a higher skimmer speed for a few hours to get a good clean of the surface once a day. See what works in your pool.

E,

I run my pump at about 1200 RPM and have no problems skimming.. I do not have a heater, so can run slower.. My filter pressure is about 1 lb.

I use hair nets in my skimmer baskets and they fill right up with all the stuff that falls into my pool. But, I do need to keep a rock in the basket to hold the hair nets down.

The key to good skimming is having a working weir door and making sure your water level is not above the middle of the skimmer mouth.

It is not necessary for the skimmer to look like the toilet bowl flushing to have it skim well.. I suspect it would look different than what your 2 HP SS pump looked like. The key is does it collect stuff or not.

I do have four returns that I point to make the pool water flow in a slow circular pattern.

Throw a few small floating things in the pool.. Come back in an hour and see of they are in the skimmer or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

added a small stone to the basket.
Be sure it is large enough that it will not go down the suction line at the bottom of the skimmer (below the basket). No reason to tempt fate that the rock could go down that line -------------

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.