Running a robot cleaner while pump is running?

Hello all,

I have an above ground pool and I just purchased a robotic vacuum (Warrior SE). I just put it in the pool for the first time and have a quick question: is it better to run the cleaner when the pump is on, off or no difference? I've been watching it for about 30 minutes, it likes to climb the wall in some places but not others; just wondering what will happen if it climbs to the skimmer or return jet while it's running.

In my in-ground pool the robot runs right over the returns and skimmer with no issue. Pump running. Though it is a VS pump at a low rate.

I do not think the wall climbing robots are really designed for an above ground. The transition from floor to wall is pretty abrupt.

Take care.

Reactions: WilliamD
Correct on both fronts - it is a Warrior SE, and it was designed for in-ground pools. However, I spoke to the fine people at Marina Pool & Spa (this is where I purchased it from) and they assured me that it's fine to use for an above-ground - it won't cause damage or anything. The only potential issue - the one I'm seeing - is that due to the steep angle of the walls, it may not climb the wall.

To be clear, I'm 100% fine with it not climbing the walls, or only doing it in certain areas. My concern was that IF the skimmer and return were running and IF the robot happened to climb the wall there, would something bad happen - like would the suction of the skimmer make it so the robot couldn't move, or would the return "blast" it off the wall or something.

My robot climbs my walls, and runs while the pump is running, no problem at all.

Attachments

• Dolphin.jpeg
    Dolphin.jpeg
    596.6 KB · Views: 17
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.