Round spa cover for in ground spa

miamicuse

May 26, 2019
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I have an inground spa and the existing spa cover is spoken for, busted at the seams and waterlogged.

1631770443280.png
I measured the existing spa cover and it's about 89" in diameter, the actual spa is a few inches smaller like 82".

Anyone has any recommendations on what types of spa covers to get? I am in south Florida so keeping in the heat is not a big priority mostly to keep leaves out, as well as critters like Iguana, frogs, toads, etc...

Seen a few recommended Beyond Nice as a cover vendor?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

I always recommend Beyond Nice, they have a GREAT cover.. Go through and upgrade all of it and the cover will last a very long time.. Mine is still kicking and looks good and I bought it in 2013.. :)

I just did this one with all the upgrades and it came out to $940

that is up to you.. I tend to go hardcore cause I like things to last forever.. I figured a walk on cover with the works will last longer than a cheaper cover.. :)

Reactions: A.O.
I understand. To me I would like to balance the heavy duty aspect with the easy of handling. The one I have now is quite heavy at 89" diameter and 2" thick. I think it's water logged which is why it's so heavy. My wife one time flipped it over and bam!!! the half circle coming down killed a frog accidentally and she freaked out.

I see that they have something that is tapered from the center out. I wonder if this is longer lasting.

You are correct, the more hardcore the heavier... You may just want to go with a 6 to 4 tapered.. I do like the thicker as they last longer and keep more heat in for the winter but that may not be needed where you live.. :)

Thank you. I am curious about the tapered cover. Let's say it tapers from 6" to 4". Is the line along the fold six inches then it tapers from the fold line outward to 4" or is there a point in the middle that is the 6" and it gets lower and lower like a real flat "cone". In other words, I am wondering if it's like a cone how will it fold in half? Wouldn't the top tapered half when folded be "pivoting" on the lower tapered half? I am not sure I am wording this correctly so my apologies if this is confusing.

It is 6 inches in the middle where it folds and at the end of the fold or furthest away from the fold is 4 inches.. When folded it would be 12 inches in the middle and 8 inches on the outside :)

Thank you so much. I am almost ready to place an order for my cover.

I can't decide on what diameter to order for my round cover.

My spa is 73" in diameter. The blue coping around the outside is 10" wide. So if I order a cover to match the blue coping it should be 93" in diameter. The current cover is 88" in diameter.

I am going with a tapered cover.

Still undecided on whether to get the standard cover or the one with the "fabric" look.

I am also unsure whether I need a spa cap for the cover.

Would greatly appreciate any insights!

IMG_20210925_145812.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so I think I will get the fabric look not as boring as the standard vinyl look.

I am not sure about the spa cap. On one hand I think it may prolong the life of the cover, but then again I think it may wear out pretty quickly and possibly hinder the operation of the cover?

As for the size of the cover, if I cover the coping it will be 93 inches in diameter. It will be slightly heavier which I don't think will be a big deal. However, since the coping slopes down outward, the cover is still going to make contact with the spa at the 73" edge, and from 73" out the cover will hang a bit off the deck, may be half an inch may be an inch (I need to measure that). My concern is that small overhang may provide a crevice for critters to hide, I have frogs lizard crabs iguanas toads crawling around and they might make it home? Its nice to cover the entire coping though. I wonder if I can order it with a very small skirt? Right now I have selected NO SKIRT. If I select a skirt of 1 inch may be that will cover that gap much better, although I am wondering how much that will really help, probably will help keeping leaves from getting under there from the leave blower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.