Rookie Questions

brucehenson

Gold Supporter
Nov 27, 2018
Taylors/SC
New pool owner rookie questions...

1) Pentair IC40 SWG reads 3750 ppm on ScreenLogic app, Taylor K-1766 Sodium Chloride test kits reports 3200 ppm. Which should I trust?
2) Pool company set pump to run at constant 2,150 rpm, I have ability to set gpm which will of course vary the rpm. My DE filter operation range is 53-106 gpm. At 50 gpm I am (currently) running 2,550 rpm. Any advice?

Welcome to the forum!
Believe your K1766. The IC40 reading is for the unit to know it should operate. If the salinity in your app goes down, always test with the K1766 before adding salt.
What do you want the flow rate to do? If just to create chlorine and skim the surface, I suspect you can go down to 1200-1500 rpm without issue. See what rpm is needed to close the flow switch on the SWCG and then add 100 rpm for your setting.
The DE filter will work better at a low flow rate. There is no minimum flow rate for a filter.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thank you Marty, lowering the flow is good for lots of reasons including my nutty neighbor complaining about pump noise. I have read ABC's and I'm sure it will all sink in this summer, it is just a little much to take in all at once.

Great. My Intelliflo at 1200 rpm can barely be heard. I have to run my system at 1600 rpm as that is what it takes to close the flow switch on the SWCG. A heater contributes to that.

Take care.

Bruce,

I am also not a fan of control by Variable Flow... But whatever works for you is ok with me...

I second the idea that you run your pump at whatever RPM (or flow) just closes your IC40's flow switch plus 100 RPM.. Since you have a heater, I suspect it will be about 1500 RPM..

You have an EasyTouch, so I do not understand the idea of one speed only... The speed you use should be associated with the function that you are using... If you are just making chlorine and skimming than slow is great... If you are running your cleaner, than whatever speed makes the cleaner work best, and when in the Spa, whatever makes the jets feel the best.. Here is a list of my speeds just as an example... The speeds you select should be suited for your needs..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim,

Marty was dead on target. At 25 gpm that is about 1650 rpm. When I dropped it to 20 gpm the SWG stopped so just like Marty 1600 seems to be a minimum. I don't have a heater. I will need to experiment with the booster pump for the cleaner (not running now) as it pulls water from the return line just before the SWG and may reduce flow enough to shut it down.

I'll probably look for my sweet spot and set up some different programs much like you have. I still trying to figure out the EasyTouch and Screenlogic systems.

This is a great forum and I thank you all for the advice. I realize that this same conversation has been run over and over, thanks for your patience.

Bruce

Jim,
I’m catching on, still using flow but I’ll get to changing that later. Where do I find that screen “Setup IntelliFlo (Step 4 of 5) that you sent the screen shot of?

Is there EasyTouch and it’s configuration app instructions somewhere? I have been looking because I have lots of questions.

Thanks for your help,
Bruce

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bruce,

Are you using a PC? If so, you just close ScreenLogic and you get this page...

View media item 1965
If you select the "Configure" option it takes you to all the set up pages... Keep in mind this is setting up the EasyTouch and not ScreenLogic

Also when on the Pump set up page if you click the pump type it will erase all your speeds.. As long as the pump type is ok do NOT change it.. In your case it should allow you to use Flow or RPM.. since you have a never pump.. VSF..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, I didn't have ScreenLogic Connect loaded on my Mac, I do now. The pool company just setup my iPad with the App. There was an update in March so the current version is 5.2 Build 738.0 Rel. Here is a link to the upgrade if you're interested. I have no idea what changed since this is my first install. No I just need to learn how to configure everything. I'm sure there will be questions.

I wonder if there are enough users to have a ScreenLogic Connect sticky?

Screenlogic and EasyTouch are giving me fits. Attempting to setup schedules and the cleaner just seems to come on and off at will. I have read that the cleaner is interlocked to "Pump #1" if Pump#1 is an IntelliFlo, and mine is. The cleaner will just come on at random times even outside the schedule. I have now removed the schedule and set the Egg Timer to "0 minutes" and waiting to see if it comes on today.

Any other suggestions?

Bruce,

Something has to be set up wrong.. You would not normally use an egg timer with anything that has a schedule.. :scratch:

If you can post screenshots of your Circuits set up page and your Schedules page, I'll see if I can spot anything obvious..

Keep in mind that if you interrupt a schedule, at the wrong time, the ET can get lost and not correct itself until the next day.

Also keep in mind that an EasyTouch only has 12 schedules total (including any egg-timers not set at the default of 12 hours). Unfortunately, ScreenLogic will let you add a million more, they just won't work, and as a "feature", it won't tell you that you have too many.. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would guess this is where you have all of your different pump speeds listed and can select different circuits thus activating the Egg Timer for that circuit?

The software is somewhat unstable, I can remove all mention of a Spa and it will go away and the reappear 30 minutes later??‍♂️??‍♂️

Bruce,

In ScreenLogic set up, you can just tell it not to show SPA... See the show-on box on this screen..

Egg timers are only used when you want a circuit to shut off on its own.. So with a schedule you set a start and stop time, the egg timer is not used.. I have a circuit that fills my pool. It is obviously not something I can schedule. I have an icon that turns it on when I push it and it shuts off an hour later..

I suggest you reset all your egg timers to 12 hours.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.