Rookie Pool Owner

Sep 7, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Hello everyone,

Recently, I began having a lot of problems with my pool. I'm clearly a beginner and can't seem to get the balance right. My pool is constantly turning green, and my chlorine levels are low. I have a sand filter, which I replaced the sand last summer and also drained the pool last year. I've read that I should purchase my own test kit but at this exact moment I cannot afford it. I took my water to Leslies to get it tested and here are my results:

Free Available Chlorine - 0
Total Available Chlorine - 0
Cyanuric Acid - 120
Alkalinity - 90
pH - 7.4
Copper - 0
Iron - 0
Dissolved Solids - 2100
Phosphates - 1000

Before this most recent pool water test, I had it tested a month before. I have seen most numbers get better. My phosphates was at 2500 ppm, pH at 7.0, but my Cyanuric Acid shot through the roof. I recently learned, despite advice from a pool guy I knew, that pool tablets were not good. I was told by the guy I knew to keep the floater full of tablets during the summer. I usually kept 8+ tablets in there at all times, causing my Cyanuric Acid levels to jump through the roof.

Any advice I can get to help me fix this problem? I switched over to BBB method but I feel like I'm still missing something. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

You need chlorine. See [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. You also need to drain some water then SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit.

If you cannot do those things, there is little that can be done to clear the pool. You can add liquid chlorine every day to kind of keep the pool status quo. When you can have the $80 for a proper test kit, order one.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.