Rookie needs your help!

rzrbknmo

Jun 16, 2020
Theodosia, MO
Just joined today after looking at online articles/forums. New to pool maint. I've been fighting algae for about 3 weeks. Keep getting different advice from pool stores. I ordered the TF-100XL test kit and it should be here in a couple of days. Reading through posts this morning I believe I need to add liquid chlorine while I'm waiting on the test kit to arrive. My first question is how much LC should I add? I've been using tablets but the pool store told me to take them out as my TC was high but the FC was low. This was 4 days ago. I'm running the filter about 10 hours per day and vacuuming 3 or 4 times per day along with cleaning the filter. It seemed I was making headway until this morning and the bottom of the pool had more algae than the previous mornings. When I start vacuuming the pool turns cloudy and stays that way until the pump has been off for several hours.

I believe I need to add liquid chlorine while I'm waiting on the test kit to arrive. My first question is how much LC should I add? I've been using tablets but the pool store told me to take them out as my TC was high but the FC was low.
I'd put a bottle in a day until your get your kit.

Welcome to TFP

Welcome to TFP! :cheers: Please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and browse Pool School.

You need to add 5 ppm liquid chlorine daily. For your pool, that's 2 quarts 6 ounces of 10% liquid chlorine. Start running your pump 24/7.

You're going to have to do a SLAM Process once you get your test kit. Go ahead and start reading up on it, and get familiar with PoolMath too.

glad you found us!

Thanks for the input and help! I followed instructions while awaiting the test kit. Then left for 5 days. I put one chlorine tablet in when I left. So I got the test kit this morning. The pool is clear except for a 3 foot circle on the bottom with some algae there. Here are the test results: FC .5, CC 0, TC .5, CH 350, TA 170, CYA 50, PH 8.0. So I've added MA to lower the PH. Going to vacuum then test PH again. Once it is in the correct level I'll add 1 gal, 2 qts and 3 cups of 12.5% liquid chlorine to get FC to the SLAM level. At that point I'm just be following the SLAM process. Thanks again

Sounds like you did your homework!! The key is keeping the FC at SLAM level. Test and adjust back up at least three times a day, every 90 minutes, like over a weekend off from work is better. Brush the pool once a day.

Take a look through the above. Keep your FC in target range for your CYA -- FC/CYA Levels

OK Finished the SLAM on Monday. The FC had dropped 1 ppm overnight and everything looked good. Kept an eye on the FC Monday and Tuesday. Everything was looking good. Get up this morning FC at 9.0 but a bit of debris by the steps. I pulled out the steps and cleaned them. Throughout the day I keep getting debris on the floor of the pool. Water is clear and filter cartridge looks clean. My urgent problem is I have renters coming in tomorrow afternoon and they'll want to use the pool. Any ideas on what is my best course of action?

Keep your FC in upper target range and see how it goes. Did you clean the steps out during the SLAM?

not during the SLAM. I had them out just before I started. When I pulled them out today they had some green staining. There are two cinder blocks inside the steps and I pulled them out and have them soaking in a bleach mixture. I cleaned the steps with bleach and they are still outside the pool. I suspect the steps were the cause of the current problem. I did a really good wall clean today also. I put the FC up to the SLAM target this morning after cleaning the walls and vacuuming. I'm assuming the debris is dead algae from the cleaning and steps. I'm running the pump/filter 24 hrs/day. I'll keep an eye on the FC and keep on vacuuming. BTW the PH was 7.4 this morning. Thanks, I really appreciate the help!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update and question: Things are looking good. The water is crystal clear and no debris. I add chlorine just after dark to bring the FC up to 7. Just after daybreak FC is at 7. All seems good. The question I have is what is normal. Here's how I see the water/pool doing over a 24 hour period. The weather is sunny all day with a high temp of 90-92. Start of day FC is at 7. By about 2pm FC down to 4.5. There are 7 swimmers in the pool for 2 to 3 hours during the timeframe. Add chlorine to bring FC back up to 7. A few hours later the 7 swimmers go back into the pool for a couple of hours. At 10pm FC back around 4.5. Is this normal or a higher than usual drop of FC during the day? My CYA is 40 and PH is 7.5.

With heavy bather load, that is normal.

The stated normal 2-4 ppm FC loss is for a few (like 2 or 3) bathers and normal UV. So 7 in the pool, for 4-5 hours per day, is heavy bather load for a residential pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.