Rock stuck in pool pipe

NathanFergo

Aug 22, 2019
Narangba
I came home and found out that the pool basket had come out. I had a rock in there to weigh it down but it doesn't look like that helped. I went to check where it went and found out it's been sucked into the pipe. Luckily it hasn't gone completely down. It's at the very top. How should I go about getting it out? It's pretty jammed in there.

20190823_092657.jpg

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I haven't any more time to fix this today but I'll be getting on to it tomorrow.

@Shirker I'll give the epoxy a try. Since I can get it for quite cheap and it seems like the easiest way to get it out without making it going even further down the drain. Is this the stuff (Selleys Knead It Aqua Multi-Purpose Epoxy Putty 50g - SELLEYS | Repco Australia)

@mknauss I have no idea what kind of rock it is and it seems like from research it would require a lot of acid and even then it would go further in to the pipe when it dissolves to a smaller size. So I'll save that for desperate times.

@JJ_Tex I've tried a whole bunch of tools but the space in-between the pipe and rock are too small to fit any of them around it and to get a good grip.

My suggestion: straighten our a coat hanger. Make a small hook with it. Slide the hook part into a void between rock and pipe. Twist hanger so hook is centered on rock. Pull up carefully

Reactions: PoolGate
Automotive stores also sell gasket or seal picking tools. They look like screwdrivers but have angled tips. maybe these will help you get under the rock to pull it up. Be cautious of not pulling too hard as the tips could break off if too much pressure is applied. I also like the coat hanger idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Someone around here recently used a spare pool pump to blow into the skimmer line and blow out a bunch of debris in it. It only took a few seconds of pump blowing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.