Robots look awesome.. but really needed?

Well it's still not the right tool from a practical point of view. When you would use the vac hose and carefully send it to the filter it is what I call "once and done" but now it'll land somewhere else and what good is that.

I'm tossing the stupid old vacuum hose as I can't see myself ever using it again.

We have a Dolphin robot and I absolutely love it. While it does suck up debris (mainly from the kiddos) off the bottom, the best thing it does it scrubs the walls, waterline, and kicks up the thin layer of sediment that settles to the bottom from blown dirt etc for the filter to remove. It works great and saves a ton of time... even provides me entertainment while on conference calls as I just start it up with the app and run it around.

I once spent hours hand vacuuming my pool with a sparkling result only to watch the wind pick up overnight. The next morning the pool was a mess and matched my mental state after all that work. Now when faced with the same situation I drop in the bot, press a button then tend to my other tasks.

In your case, a vacuum side cleaner that hooks up to your wall port with an inline leaf canister would be more than sufficient.

Well it's still not the right tool from a practical point of view. When you would use the vac hose and carefully send it to the filter it is what I call "once and done" but now it'll land somewhere else and what good is that.

Agreed, though I am interested to see if the combination of running the bot, and running the filter will over the course of the next few days do the same thing. I like to experiment!

Worse comes to worse I bust out the hose and vacuum by hand like I've done the last 2 1/2 seasons.

Robot for the win. Even with all our leaves and debris (see avatar and attached pics), I rarely have to empty the collection bin more than once a week. So, every few days I wonder outside...push a button to get going and then go sit down and enjoy my coffee. Now THAT is cathartic. ;)

Reactions: LoneWolfArcher
Agreed, though I am interested to see if the combination of running the bot, and running the filter will over the course of the next few days do the same thing. I like to experiment!

Worse comes to worse I bust out the hose and vacuum by hand like I've done the last 2 1/2 seasons.
I would force all return through the main drain and slowly sweep it in that direction. Would take me 10 times to get it all since it turns to fairy dust and vanishes but eventually worked for me

I would force all return through the main drain and slowly sweep it in that direction. Would take me 10 times to get it all since it turns to fairy dust and vanishes but eventually worked for me
After redoing my plumbing this this weekend, v that's possible! My skimmer valve had deteriorated in the UV over the years and there was no way to close it, but I replaced it on Saturday. If the bot filter tag team is unsuccessful I will give that a shot.

Reactions: markayash
Thanks for all the help every one!
Well I made some progress this week. I officially fired my pool boy. I also went ahead and ordered the $164 TF-100 Pro test kit.
Regarding the vacuum, I went and priced out the three options.
Manual: $125-$200 for hose, cap, vacuum
Suction side: $400
Robot: $700

figured for the price of the manual hoses and vacuum it isn’t worth it. So low and behold I have a call into Marina to talk to them about robot options! The price of the other two are just outlandish vs the technology you can get in a robot.

Reactions: Snoobug and Oly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the help every one!
Well I made some progress this week. I officially fired my pool boy. I also went ahead and ordered the $164 TF-100 Pro test kit.
Regarding the vacuum, I went and priced out the three options.
Manual: $125-$200 for hose, cap, vacuum
Suction side: $400
Robot: $700

figured for the price of the manual hoses and vacuum it isn’t worth it. So low and behold I have a call into Marina to talk to them about robot options! The price of the other two are just outlandish vs the technology you can get in a robot.
You won't regret it. Suction sides are usually OK for leaves and bigger stuff but a Robot have fine filters and will capture the fine dirt along with the bigger stuff.
I have a Pentair SE and love it. I have mine in automation mode and runs every other night between 5 and 7am.

I will never live without my pool robots. I have one for the top of the pool and one for the bottom of the pool.

Now they just need to make one that gets itself out of the water and cleans itself.

Reactions: Snoobug
Looks like Marina Pool is really low on inventory. No Warrior SE / S200 / A20, A30, etc.

But they do have the Explorer E30. Any feedback on the E30 and if it is pretty much the same robot as the ones mentioned above?

You won't regret it. Suction sides are usually OK for leaves and bigger stuff but a Robot have fine filters and will capture the fine dirt along with the bigger stuff.
I have a Pentair SE and love it. I have mine in automation mode and runs every other night between 5 and 7am.
My Dolphin, with the fine filters installed, was picking up a considerable amount of DE before I installed new filter grids last weekend. I just love pushing the button, walking away, and then coming back to a swept pool. If there is still debris in the pool, I hit the button again.

When I first bought it an old friend of mine commented about it "getting stuck in a corner". That doesn't happen but occasionally it will get banked on the steps if it manages to climb to the top of them, which is pretty rare. I once caught it "having relations" with one of main pool drains, but after a tug on the cord and a stern talking to it hasn't happened since.

Well my one worry happened on the first go-round. Cord is going to wrap around the table. I’m going to have to find a way to block it

Attachments

• 110E44E9-4D36-4371-B42E-169C5B02FB6E.jpeg
    110E44E9-4D36-4371-B42E-169C5B02FB6E.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.