Robot Only?

apv

Apr 30, 2019
Austin, TX
My Polaris doesn't do a great job. I am thinking of taking it out permanently and going with a pool robot only.

Questions:

1) Anyone do this? Experiences?

2) Better to buy online or bricks-and-mortar? WRT price, service etc etc

3) I am eyeing a Dolphin Premier Robotic Pool Cleaner - Open Box Buy (MAYPREM18-Refurbished) for $800.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

apv,

I have had a Dolphin Premier for over five years.. It is currently working in a rent house pool because it was replaced by a Dolphin S200. Twice the robot at half the price.

The only place that it makes sense to buy a Dolphin is from Margaret at Marina Pool and Spa. No internet sales, you just have to call them.

S200 for $699, no tax and 2 day free shipping.. 2 year warranty.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: AveMaria472 and apv
apv,

My older Premier uses a floating handle to help it climb the walls and clean the water line tile.. The newer S200 actually blows water out the top forcing it against the wall, and then it shoots water out the side, moving it along the water line tile. Both will climb and clean the tile, but in my opinion the S200 is much better at it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: apv
Just here to rec Margaret from Marina. She was great via email as well. No upselling, no hype. Highly recommend!

Last edited:
Cool. So the S200 has no problem climbing up and sticking to walls?

We have a far wall that gets a lot of sun that is about 9.5 feet tall that needs extra-love when I brush/
Our pool is 8 1/2' deep. The depth is no problem and the Active 20 (same as S200) climbs easily to the top. I agree Marina's is the best thing going for robots. I did purchase a refurb. from Poolpartz.com and it's still going strong after about 3 years. But the price was an anomaly so I grabbed it quick. I never saw one close to that again. It was $449 which was crazy in retrospect since it has been trouble free. I often run mine on two 2-hour cycles because our pool is fairly large and deep. The tall walls take up more time on the cleaning cycle. There is sometimes a few pieces of debris scattered just due to the cycle length. I'd still get the lowest model in a heartbeat at $699. I personally have no value for any of the upgrades/features. Though that certainly varies by the user.

It was a slam dunk for me to replace our pressure side cleaner with the Active 20. Our PSC was close to useless at getting fine dust-like debris and could never get it to reliably leave the deep-end and hit the shallow end.

I am bad about brushing the sides and it will get mild green algae that brush's off..Hoping the robot will brush enough to get most of that..
My second issue is I forget to check the chemicals and have had a few times when the Puck feeder runs out and it goes form clear to bad in a few days..I also bought a Circupool edge 40 :)

Hoping my investment makes my pool maintenance a lot easier!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ha, the algae is not happening because you aren't brushing. It's due to your FC getting too low. Maintain proper FC levels and you will be algae free continuously! I was thinking about this yesterday when you said about getting some extra brushing via the robot, but held off on commenting. Extra brushing can't hurt but the chems are the issue. You just need some added diligence on chemical additions. AND that SWCG is a great move forward. Though you do still have to test. ;) Oops, just realized that was @apv on the wall brushing. But same concept applies to both. I'm getting my posters mixed up.

APV - Are you good with your robot questions? S200 or equivalent is a solid choice for most pools.

Reactions: apv
My Polaris doesn't do a great job. I am thinking of taking it out permanently and going with a pool robot only.

Questions:

1) Anyone do this? Experiences?

2) Better to buy online or bricks-and-mortar? WRT price, service etc etc

3) I am eyeing a Dolphin Premier Robotic Pool Cleaner - Open Box Buy (MAYPREM18-Refurbished) for $800.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

1. Yes. And it was the best decision I ever made for my first pool. I went witha dolphin zeon (or something like that). It was awesome. I still had to brush my steps and “deep end bench”. But it made everything so simple.

2. Compare prices. Mine was an online only type of deal.
3. Can’t go wrong with a dolphin from my experience.

My Polaris also does a crappy job, and the booster pump that runs it sounds like it’s about to throw a bearing. Rather than pay to repair or replace it, I think it’s time for a robot. Would an S200 be good for a 17 x 44 x 24 Grecian El vinyl pool, about 8-9 foot at the deep end?

And is this the Marina Pool and Spa in Lakewood, CO?

My Polaris also does a crappy job, and the booster pump that runs it sounds like it’s about to throw a bearing. Rather than pay to repair or replace it, I think it’s time for a robot. Would an S200 be good for a 17 x 44 x 24 Grecian El vinyl pool, about 8-9 foot at the deep end?

And is this the Marina Pool and Spa in Lakewood, CO?
It would be fine for that pool. Depth is certainly no problem.

I bought the pentair version and honestly don’t know what you would use a caddy for unless you are taking it a long ways away. Still not that heavy once out of the pool and has a nice handle to carry it with.
Mine will probably stay in the water most of the time.

I am interested in what feedback the folks who have one say.

Last edited:
WF,

Two 6" pieces of 2 x 4 or 4 x 4 work just as well to keep the brushes off the ground. If you wrap the cord up on the caddy it is much more likely to hold its shape and tangle in the pool.

I have been using Dolphin robots for a long time.. The first couple I bought used, and they both came with caddys, which at the time I thought was great. They both soon found their way into the recycle bins.. My wife did not know this, and for a Birthday or Christmas she bought me a caddy for my S200... Sigh!!! If anyone in the DFW area whats a free caddy, just PM me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wireform

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.