Robot dilemma

dschlic1

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Valrico, FL
I have a small in ground "L" shaped pool. Last year I tried several Maytronics cleaners, and neither of them would clean the small end of the "L". I still want to get a robot, but the fact that two Maytronics failed on my pool, the draconian policy for pool cleaners (you bought, you own it, no returns) has stopped me. A thought has occured to me that if I purchase an internet model on Amazon, Amazon does have a return policy.

I would like a model that does the water line and has a 7 day timer. So I have two models in mind:
Polaris F9350
Triton PS
Considering the extras I would need with each (caddy for the Maytronics, fine filter for the Polaris) they are within $100 of each other. Which one should I try?

I had a 9350 for almost 5 years and just this week the motor died. I got it as a demo model and I don't know how long it served in that capacity, but in the time I had it .. absolutely loved it. The first pool we had was open so in the fall and winter got a fair amount of leaves and it kept up no problem. I also have a 90lb German Shepherd that gets in and out bringing sand and fur along with him, also handled that beautifully. Our 2nd pool is screened in so not as much debris, but did great with fine sand and anything else that fell in.

Both pools were rectangular so I can't speak to its ability to handle more complex shapes. The cord was also tangled more often then not...was easy enough to fix and didn't bother much. My only other issue, it seemed to not always recognize when it reached the waterline and would practically climb out.

Since it died, I am going with an Active 20 and I can give you a better comparison once it arrives and had a chance to use it.

Reactions: MyAZPool
If I didn't clean the filters between every run mine wouldn't do much good, but that's beside the point.

I'm pretty sure those things aren't built to spend 80% of their life underwater. Some people are even diligent about hosing them out after each run.

Reactions: mickey4paws
Thanks for the responses. Athflying I am looking forward to your comparison between the 9350 and the Active 20.

My Active 20 arrived yesterday. I did purchase from Marina and overall a great experience. My only complaint, it took 2 days to order because there phone always went to VM and it may be a day or two before they return your call. Unboxing and putting it together were pretty straight forward. You don't really get a lot of options on the controller, so that makes pretty simple to operate. I don't even own a hose and manual vacuum so there was a fair amount of sediment on the bottom after being without a cleaner for almost 2 weeks. I dropped it in and watched her go to work.

Initial impressions
1. It cleaned my pool!!!
2. The swivel cord setup seems to work, after cleaning it didn't appear at all twisted. This was an ongoing struggle with the 9350.
3. It cleaned my stairs. Even though it couldn't scrub them, just from climbing them the movement of water was enough to blow the sediment off that it later sucked up.
4. It got the walls and water line. This is something the 9350 struggled with. Mine would often get to the water line and seemingly not realize it was there and sit there to long eventually sucking air in, losing suction to the wall and then fall off the wall sometimes floating until enough air escaped that it sank again and resumed cleaning. Sometimes during this, it would tangle itself in it's own cord and I would have to intervene. It happened enough that I stopped using the wall function and only had it do the floors. An important side note, my unit was given to me as a demo unit and therefore I never attempted to contact Polaris to see if it was possibly defective, I just lived with it.
5. The blinking light is a bit out of control. I saw someone else complain and thought kinda silly to complain about, but then I tried to go to bed last night and it is so bright it literally lights up my pool deck and I have a big slider in my bedroom that goes to the pool. I am going to have to rig up a cover for the controller.
6. No caddy. May or may not be an issue. I liked the caddy for my 9350 and my try to somehow fit this on there for the times it's out of the water. I am going to attempt to leave it in except when actively swimming, so may not really be an issue. I just liked the caddy as it helped manage the cords and a place for the controller.
7. Drains - it did not get stuck on the drain. Maybe I got lucky and it will eventually, but first time out it didn't. That is something the 9350 occasionally had a problem with. I would say maybe 1 out of 3 times it would get stuck on a drain, I could usually give a slight tug on the cord and that would be it for that cleaning.
8. Timer - the 9350 is completely manual, no timer option. I like the idea I can set the Dolphin to clean every 1,2, or 3 days. I plan on leaving this in the pool so it gives me a degree of automation. I really have no use for the bluetooth/wifi functionality. I have quite a few smart devices in my home and I have found that sometimes a "dumb" manual timer just works better for certain things.

It's still way to early to say for sure but after only using for a single cleaning, I would buy the Active 20 again over the 9350 to save $200-300 (and why I didn't get another 9350). Other than the above issues, my 9350 was trouble free and cleaned well for the 4 years I got out of it and it was slightly used when I got it. I hope to get at least 5 years out of the Dolphin and I am happy it seems to have resolved the few annoyances I had with the 9350.

athflying,

Thank you for publishing my review of the S200... :)

I say that because if I were not so lazy, it is exactly what I would have said...

I do not use the caddy and personally believe that wrapping the cable in tiny loops on the caddy is one of the main reasons that the cable gets tangled..

My power supply is mounted about a foot off the deck, on a wall, to keep it out of the weather.. The cable is just curled in large loops on the deck when the cleaner is not in use.

Thanks again for saving me the time of reviewing the S200, :mrgreen:

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think (shock) that Maytronics provides contradictory statements about leaving the robots in the pool. They obviously put a timer on the robot. Though it only works for a week at a time (for a reason)? So this implies leaving it in, at least on a short term basis. Some Maytronic's replies to inquiries I've seen have stated that the feature is for when you are not able to be by the pool (i.e. vacation). And then in the Troubleshooting part of the Active 20 manual, for example, is the following statement:
  • After each cleaning cycle take the Dolphin out of the water to prevent accelerated wear and tear on its plastic parts.
And in the Warnings/Caution section:

"When not in use store the Pool Cleaner on the Caddy in a shaded area."

So yes, it's waterproof, but is it meant to be submerged 24/7? Probably not for longest life or if following "most" of their documentation. But of course its up to the end user as to what use case they foresee and risk the can tolerate. There are certainly folks who have proven they can tolerate a lot of water exposure. But will every Dolphin behave the same? Use it as you wish and the results will be what they will be is my feeling.

This came in the box with mine and it specifically states ok to leave in the water. While I agree for maximum longevity rinsing and storing it in the pool deck probably better, but I bought mine for maximum convenience and going to take my chances.

Just an update after a weeks use. The timer function is working as expected and the pool is clean. The filter in the 9350 was just a tiny bit easier to clean and I miss the lift function. I have no problem getting the Dolphin out but it's definitely heavy and imagine some people struggle with it a bit. Other than those 2 things, I am liking it so far and no regrets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.