RJ45 or RJ60 ?

Just for info for both of you guys (@Brett S and @water0logged) the manual says it comes preset for 240v operation and the jumper has to be changed to work with 120v! Don't want a simple mistake to ruin anyone's day!

RJ-60+ Wiring.jpg

Back when I ordered my RJ45+ a year ago (on the $1 upgrade sale too), I asked them to put a plug on it and set it to 120 VAC. They sent mine ready to go and I just plugged it into my 110v plug with my pump.

Reactions: onlyjeeps
Back when I ordered my RJ45+ a year ago (on the $1 upgrade sale too), I asked them to put a plug on it and set it to 120 VAC. They sent mine ready to go and I just plugged it into my 110v plug with my pump.
Well now you tell us;) I didn’t even know that was an option. Although tbh I already have a plug that I can use and I even have some extra cord if it doesn’t come with a cord. And I can move some jumpers, so I’m not too worried about it.

• Haha
Yeah, my electrical knowledge is almost nil and I had a plug at the pool. So I basically asked if that was an option for this electically challenged guy. They said yes, and I have had a great SWG for over a year now.

I ordered mine Monday afternoon and according to UPS will be here tomorrow. That doesn't sound promising for the weekend for yours considering UPS doesn't run Sat's or Sun's. :-( Sorry.

I thought their $1 upgrade sale was supposed to end Monday night at midnight? If you still got the deal, good for you!!!

Thanks for the heads up . Should have ordered it yesterday , lol .

BTW , They just extended the sale till 4/2 . This seems to be the MO for Discount Salt , lol! They seem to almost always have this sale going on . If its not active ........ just wait and it will be available very shortly again from what I have seen !

I ordered my RJ-30+ from discountsaltpool on Monday and it is on the UPS truck for delivery any minute now. (UPS was showing an estimated delivery time of 9:30-12:30 and it’s already 12:38 and it’s still not here:( grr). I can let you know about the cord situation as soon as it arrives. I had the same idea about just installing a plug at the end of the cord.

discountsaltpool shipped very quickly... I ordered Monday morning and it was shipped by Monday afternoon. They ship UPS from Houston, TX, so if you know how long it takes UPS to get you a package from Texas you can figure out when it will get there.

Thanks , Let us know whats all included when it arrives !

Just for info for both of you guys (@Brett S and @water0logged) the manual says it comes preset for 240v operation and the jumper has to be changed to work with 120v! Don't want a simple mistake to ruin anyone's day!

View attachment 131014

Yep, went through the install directions and should be a piece of cake to configure a jumper from 240v to 120v !
Thanks for the heads up !

Hmmm, may look into what Jimrahbe suggest on wiring a SWG with a VS pump .
I could just use the 240v timer that I already have . No 120v jumper change, and no 120v plug !
Just have to watch out for power outage from time to time , and keep an eye on the timer !

From Jimrahbe ------
It is not so easy with a VS pump as they normally get constant AC power, as VS pumps have a built in timer/controller. What most people do is wire the VS pump to the line side (input) of the timer and the salt system to the load side (output) of the same timer. Then set the cell to come on "inside" the operating time for the pump. So, if you schedule the pump to run from 7 am until 7 pm, then set the salt system to run from 8 am until 6 pm.. This is just to cover any slight timing error between the two.

And it’s here:). 2 hours after UPS’s delivery time estimate, but still, it’s here:)

940CED53-2437-4DD1-A6B1-4173D3170F4E.jpeg

It does come with a cord (although it’s not super long... about 52”). It also comes with an extra jumper to make the switch to 120V as well as pipe adapters for 1.5” and 2” pipe for both the cell itself as well as the flow switch. It also comes with plastic anchors and screws to mount the control panel, although I’ll probably use tapcon screws because I’m going to be mounting it on the side of my stucco house.

I’m going to attempt to install this now, so I’ll let you know how it goes shortly:)

Well , while waiting to see how @Brett S makes out with his RJ install today .........
I got a tracking number for my RJ60 ! :)
Not sure if it will arrive by the weekend , but since the pool is not even opened yet , I will spend this weekend opening the pool and getting everything ready for the install . Will prob see it Monday if not Friday .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From Jimrahbe ------
It is not so easy with a VS pump as they normally get constant AC power, as VS pumps have a built in timer/controller. What most people do is wire the VS pump to the line side (input) of the timer and the salt system to the load side (output) of the same timer. Then set the cell to come on "inside" the operating time for the pump. So, if you schedule the pump to run from 7 am until 7 pm, then set the salt system to run from 8 am until 6 pm.. This is just to cover any slight timing error between the two.
I'm not quite understanding what gain is there to have the VS pump connected to the line side of the timer and have the SWCG connected to the load side of the timer....... once the vs pump has it's own timer of sorts the fact its connected to same hot/circuit can be the only part gained that when no juice to pump then no juice to SWCG on a CB trip. Other then that I can't see any purpose unless I'm missing something here but that hasn't been mentioned so what is it.

I'm not quite understanding what gain is there to have the VS pump connected to the line side of the timer and have the SWCG connected to the load side of the timer....... once the vs pump has it's own timer of sorts the fact its connected to same hot/circuit can be the only part gained that when no juice to pump then no juice to SWCG on a CB trip. Other then that I can't see any purpose unless I'm missing something here but that hasn't been mentioned so what is it.

A VS pump is supposed to be "hot" all the time and not controlled by a separate timer. It has its own built in digital timer , that controls the pump run time . I dont think its advisable to run a VS pump to turn off and on with a mechanical timer . I would guess it could possibly mess with the VS settings if the power is cut every day or more. Plus some VS pumps like mine , after the power is cut , have to go through a prime cycle the first time power is turned back on . (With a separate mechanical timer .......this would be every day !)
A lot of people just hook up a "new VS install" to the wiring/ mechanical timer thats already in place that was used to control a single speed pump for ease of installation . Then they just let the timer run "on" or hot all the time .
SO.......using the same timer , if you switch the VS pump "load" wiring over to the "line" side of the mechanical timer .......it will be "hot" all the time . Then they can install the wiring for an SWG to the (now empty) load side , and use the timer for the SWG , while the VS pump will now be "hot" all the time.

In my case , the Mechanical timer in my system ALSO has a separate wall mounted on-off switch to power the timer , so I can actually turn the timer line side off for maintanace if I need too (which will turn the pump and SWG off at the same time ) .

Last edited:
So what you're saying is that the power is there and just upgrading pump and as convenience has it you just jump it over to the line side from the load side. Got it, I understood the vs pump gets uninterrupted power but it was the rest of the story that needed clarity. TY

Looking good @Brett S !!! (y)
Keep us informed on how its working !

Care to show your choice of wiring hook up ?
Also, is it better to hook up the flow sensor before the cell or after it (like you have) ? Looks like you did not have the room before the cell to install the flow sensor with the proper spacing ?
I can do it either way , so just wondering.

I posted a number of pictures from my install, including the wiring in this thread:

As far as the flow sensor, I don’t think it really matters much. I did it the way I did because it was easier for my plumbing situation, but if you have the room to install it before the cell with an extra 6-12” of straight pipe before it then I don’t think that would be bad either.

Reactions: waterl0gged
So what you're saying is that the power is there and just upgrading pump and as convenience has it you just jump it over to the line side from the load side. Got it, I understood the vs pump gets uninterrupted power but it was the rest of the story that needed clarity. TY

Yes basically ....
When I installed my VS pump , I was lazy and did not feel like messing with the 240v wiring in the Intermatic 104 timer box. So I just pulled the timer pins , set the timer to on and left it "hot" all the time basically ........even though the timer was running in the background.
Fast Forward ..........now I am adding an SWG and need a timer . I will now put the 104 back into service for the SWG . I will just move the VS pump wiring to the line side of the 104 (piggy backed on the hot 240v line wiring) , and use the (now empty) load side of the 104 for the SWG ONLY .

Prob the easiest way for me to hook up my SWG using an already installed timer box will be this method .......

I posted a number of pictures from my install, including the wiring in this thread:

As far as the flow sensor, I don’t think it really matters much. I did it the way I did because it was easier for my plumbing situation, but if you have the room to install it before the cell with an extra 6-12” of straight pipe before it then I don’t think that would be bad either.

Thanks , I will check it out !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.