River Rock Looking Waterline Tile

Jul 14, 2018
Tucson
I saw a picture on here of some waterline tile that was a mosaic of small (1"+-) river rock looking stones. It appeared to actually be honed flat, so there is a semi-smooth surface. I have searched the whole site and cannot locate the pictures.

Anyone seen what I'm talking about? Or know where to source tile like that?

Hi, Dirk here!

Sorry, I don't want anyone else to have that tile...

:pth:

- - - Updated - - -

OK, just kidding. Is this what you're looking for?

Unfortunately, I can't tell you much about it. I didn't build my pool (came with house), and when I needed more of this for a remodel, I went down to the local tile shop and they had it in stock. Which might be where the original owners found it. Let me do some digging...

edge tile.jpg

Thanks for this info!

I'm wondering if this is a maintenance headache? I'm not doing saltwater, and I'm going in preparing to bead-blast every few years, but it just looks like sooo much grout. I'm concerned about that ever being able to be cleaned fully with the hard water we have in my area

Maintenance headache? I don't do anything to maintain it!

When I purchased my house the pool was covered in calcium scaling deposits. And the "river rock" tile had a nasty ring around it, about 1" tall. I had the finish replaced but kept the tile ('cause I love it). For about $400 the plaster guys removed the scaling from the tile (blasting). It looks virtually new. Around the same time I had that done, I connected my autofill system to my home's water softener (I have a thread about that), and since that time I've been able to maintain the pool's proper CH (about 350ppm) without doing anything. Additionally, I follow TFPC strictly, and maintain my CSI within the proper range at all times (-0.3 to 0.0 for a pool with an SWG).

For reference, my water from the city is about CH350, give or take depending on time of year.

It's a little over a year since I had everything replaced/cleaned, and I can't find a single spec of calcium scaling anywhere, and definitely not on the tile. I don't expect to have to bead-blast ever.

To be completely forthcoming, the grout is not pristine, but by no means bad or ugly. There is some sort of weird color variation between the grout that lives underwater from that which doesn't. And the bead blasting did not restore the grout to "like new." I imagine you can't blast grout mercilessly without compromising it. But I can't see any of that without very close inspection (inches away), so it is a non-issue. The pool was not properly cared for for its first six years or so. If it had been, I expect the grout would still look like new. So you're at an advantage in that regard.

Here is the rather long saga (one of my many) about the softener and controlling my hard water:

Water softener connected to auto fill, and new plaster start up.

If you're willing to practice TFPC and do some equipment mod's, your pool can be very easy to care for, and you won't experience a lot of what other pool owners have to do...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.