Risks of new plaster and no circulation for 5+ days

Neto

Jun 10, 2019
Puerto Rico
So here is my situation, I am building a pool and the plaster phase is next but I will be taking off from August 21st - 31st and wont be available to monitor anything related to the pool. The PB promised the pool by the first week of august but long story short, after they get almost all your money, they dont really care and push the schedule. They want to do the plaster while I am away and fill the water and let is stand with no circulation until I get back.... This to me sounds ridiculous and I rather get it filled after I come back but PB says there is no risk with this, they do it all the time.

Your thoughts?

Hmm.... My fear is they won't actually fill it all the way. Are you having water trucked in or just your hose? Mine sat for probably 3-4 days since they filled and didn't have the equipment hooked up yet. Also the bigger issue is you need to brush the plaster 2-3x per day every day especially in the beginning. I would say wait until you are around to do the plaster that is the most critical part of the pool build process.

Hmm.... My fear is they won't actually fill it all the way. Are you having water trucked in or just your hose? Mine sat for probably 3-4 days since they filled and didn't have the equipment hooked up yet. Also the bigger issue is you need to brush the plaster 2-3x per day every day especially in the beginning. I would say wait until you are around to do the plaster that is the most critical part of the pool build process.
They said that brushing is only needed when the equipment runs.. I am filling with a hose, I could ask my neighbor to shut it down when it reaches the tile line.. but to be honest I rather do this when I come back from my trip. I already know that I wont be able to use the pool this year at all, makes me sick....

They said that brushing is only needed when the equipment runs.. I am filling with a hose, I could ask my neighbor to shut it down when it reaches the tile line.. but to be honest I rather do this when I come back from my trip. I already know that I wont be able to use the pool this year at all, makes me sick....

I don't know that I agree with only brushing when the equipment runs. I realize the plaster dust needs to be filtered out but the brushing ensures it doesn't scale over and harden. And 10 days without anything added to the water or circulation will result in algae almost certainly. I also would not rely on a neighbor to stop the hose. It took me 2 full days to fill and it ended the fill at 2:30am in the morning for me. Can you cancel the trip? If not, reschedule the plaster.

I don't know that I agree with only brushing when the equipment runs. I realize the plaster dust needs to be filtered out but the brushing ensures it doesn't scale over and harden. And 10 days without anything added to the water or circulation will result in algae almost certainly. I also would not rely on a neighbor to stop the hose. It took me 2 full days to fill and it ended the fill at 2:30am in the morning for me. Can you cancel the trip? If not, reschedule the plaster.
thanks for your suggestions, will probably do that

I agree with @PoolGate - either cancel the trip or reschedule the plaster. Since you already stated you probavly won't use the pool this season anyway, a few more weeks without plaster isn't going to affect anything. But having it done in your absence and relying on others to fill, etc. is one thing I wouldn't do. No one is going to take careof your pool as well as you would.

Reactions: Neto
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.