Reviving out of service pool: FG & deck Refresh

When you get back to working on the filter take lots of pictures. Maybe someone with the same filter will see something that you're missing.

Can't wait to see that filter in action! I'm betting you'll see a huge improvement in just a few hours. Probably see the bottom of the deep end in 24 hours or less.

Filter news:

Started it up "as is" from last trial on Friday
filter 20200913_102735a.jpg

Took it apart again. This manifold spring assembly & a screen top for the center tube inside of it was what I was missing the first time. Result was that even though I tightened the band enough to bend the bolt, the band was loose enough that I could still spin it.
filter 20200913_110719a.jpg
Bent bolt seems to tighten ok yet.
filter 20200913_105013 bent bolt.jpg
filter 20200913_105256 connect band.jpg

Recleaned the track and band. Took most of the lube off of the o-ring and reassembled marking lid & ring positions. Yeah, had some duct tape and pvc in place just in case. :D
filter 20200913_111632.jpg
Started in up & ... no leaks.(y) Took off pvc & duct tape and set start/clean indicator.
filter 20200913_111933.jpg
Ran it for 15 min or so, then couldn't leave well enough alone.:rant:Saw a few leaves & thought there was enough water to switch from my sucker pipe to the skimmer, so turned Jandy to change source. Nope, not enough water. Should have turned pump off at that point, but turned Jandy back to my sucker as the source & went to turn on hose bib to add water in case too much had been lost in the sucker. Hear a pop and the filter lid is loose. 🔨🔨🔨

Will check it over later. :censored:

I'm not sure I'm understanding 100%. The seal created by the two lids, o-ring and band should be completely independent of anything inside. The spring you circled would not affect the seal, if that's what you were thinking.

Scratch that!

Oh, I think I just spotted it. The spring on the band is in the wrong place. It's keeping the band from tightening enough. Check the manual, but I think the spring is supposed to be on the other side of where you've got it now.

That's why you bent the bolt, you were never going to be able to tighten it enough to close up the band. The spring functions like a lock washer, it keeps the band tight but also keeps the bolt from loosening. Right now, it's just keeping the band loose and the housing from sealing.

Last edited:
I think I just spotted it. The spring on the band is in the wrong place.
Of Course! Feel like an idiot. :hammer: And how many times did I look at that diagram? :rolleyes: At least that means there's a much higher chance that I didn't damage anything 'cause it wouldn't have taken much pressure to pop it.

Thanks! Cross fingers...

Edit: The washers are there on each side of the spring...

Well, I should have asked you for a pic. That's why we normally do. But if that's the fix, I'll still accept half the cost of a new lid as a finder's fee! :p

Anecdotal, but I heard a story of a lid shooting up over a roof when the band gave. So ya gotta be careful that the band and hardware are in good condition and torqued tight as per instructions. They can be pretty dangerous otherwise.

Fingers are crossed but your housing should be fine. You really couldn't have tightened the band enough to crack it.

It's been 46 minutes. What? Are you just standing there watching your pool get cleaner by the minute?! The suspense is killing me!!! 😫

• Haha
Reactions: Ckb3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well the tank seems to be fine. With the bend in the bolt, can get 1st washer & spring on, but can't manually push ring together enough to get 2nd washer on. Don't know if I'll be able to straighten bolt enough or if that would weaken it anyhow. As for huge delay, the large washer has now decided to play hide 'n' seek... :eek:

Reactions: Dirk
I can see the bend in the bolt. And I know what I'd do, but probably shouldn't advise about it here. Doesn't look to be replaceable without replacing the whole band, but ask Pentair about that if no one here knows one way or the other. Use your best judgement about fixing or replacing it, as the potential failure of that band system is not a trivial thing, as I mentioned.

There’s no way to replace the T-bolt separately from the band clamp, it’s spot welded into place. You need a new band clamp (or someone who is very good with a ball peen hammer to straighten out that bolt).

Reactions: Dirk
Those threads look soft to me. I don't think you'll break it by trying to straighten it. If you have a vice then put the bolt in the vice between two pieces of wood & tighten. You might need some fairly hard wood like maple or oak.

Last edited:
SLAM day 8, Sun 9/13
AM

Knew I was going to have troubles today when the first pic was so fuzzy that it was useless. :rolleyes:
slam 20200913_083407.jpg

08:30 FC 9.5 ; add .8 gal LC [tot LC=32.6 gal]
13:00 FC 7. . ; add 1.5 gal LC [tot LC=34.1 gal]
add 2" water
16:00 FC 7. . ; add 1.5 gal LC [tot LC=34.6 gal]
19:30 FC 11. ; add .3 gal [tot LC=35.9 gal]

-----------

I think I had a mission to do EVERYTHING the most difficult way getting this filter going. A normal person would stack the washer and spring on the nut unit and then screw it with the small diam washer on the bolt - just like the manual says. But no, I was trying to put washer, screw, washer on the bolt before trying to screw in the nut. :hammer: At least I had a brain drizzle, saw the light & got it done. Never did find the large washer, but fortunately had some that fit. Got the filter going with DE and ran it a couple of hours. Don't trust that puppy for overnight tonight, so back to recirc this evening. :LOL:
filter 20200913_184622 working.jpg

Notice: Jimmy has left the building (pool) :party:
light base recovery.jpg
Probably was so hard earlier 'cause of sticks entangled in it and mucked in.

Hubby grilled a steak and some potatoes and I supplied some asaparagus and pineapple to celebrate. 🥳

Last edited:
Never did find the large washer, but fortunately had some that fit.
Be sure to use only stainless steel in that assembly. Big box stores carry an assortment of SS washers that will fit, if the one(s) you have there is not SS. Wet, dissimilar metals will corrode, stick together, etc.

Don't trust that puppy for overnight tonight, so back to recirc this evening.
smart move! That will get it done in time. If you can baby sit then filter away! Make sure to have DE on hand to change it out as needed!

No wonder you could not get Jimmy up with a net! He is heavy I bet!!

That water is trying to trend towards a slight blue already! WOW!

All of your hard work is paying off. Hope the steaks were yummmmms!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Flying Tivo
SLAM day 9, Mon 9/14
AM

slam 20200914_090226.jpg

slam 20200914_090305.jpg
slam 20200914_090003.jpg
Start looking at the deep end: pole end on main
slam 20200914_090144.jpg
vac-to-waste entire pool
10:45 FC 7. .; add 1.5 gal LC [tot LC=37.4 gal]
add 4" water
13:00 FC 9.5; add .9 gal LC [tot LC=38.3 gal]
add 2" water
16:00 FC 9.5; add .9 gal LC [tot LC=39.2 gal]
19:30 FC 9. ; add .8 gal LC [tot LC=40.0 gal]

-----------

Think that's the last time I'm going to vac-to-waste 'cause virtually no muck found and it drops water level quite a bit. (y) Turned on filter at 13:00 and ran until 19:30 - almost no change in pressure level. Think pool was a bit clearer and bluer, but could have been just the light and angle.

Knew leaks from cracks were going to give me problems using the skimmer and have a temp workaround; forgot that DE slurry goes into the skimmer. Tried to contact jimmythegreek and bdavis466 earlier (jimmy x2), so guess they are going to pass on this. Don't want to be a pest. Think of anyone else that might have any fiberglass crack repair thoughts?

Still plugin' away.🤖

Reactions: cmc0619

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.