Reviving out of service pool: FG & deck Refresh

You referring to the need to lower the water for the light? Got to pull the cord into the pad ... and the pad is below the pool water level.
But there should be a J-box that is above water line where the line to the light is connected to the line from the pad, yes?

And I was figuring you couldn't snake the line.. due the other snakes in the line.

Last edited:
But there should be a J-box that is above water line where the line to the light is connected to the line from the pad, yes?
No J-box; direct pool to pad.

And I was figuring you couldn't snake the line.. due the other snakes in the line.
:ROFLMAO:

No, the cord most likely will not make the turn - that's why the column and elbow pair are threaded. Lower the pool water level, unscrew them and there's only a couple of elbows between there & the pool. A sweep here would take too much room I think. Since what you're pointing out makes sense, I'll take a look at an alternative when the light comes, but hopefully won't be replacing the light AND cord as a regular occurance. :giggle: Do wish the original conduit was larger size though.

If it were the wires that go with my pool light it wouldn't be happy with such a tight turn, I think it would put undo stress on the jacket. Is that a 1/2" pipe coming out of the wall to a 3/4" pipe going vertical? It sure looks like you could fit a sweep in there to me. Then you wouldn't have to do all the screwing and unscrewing to service it. Especially when you get the rest of your equipment in there, you'll have even less room to work.

3/4" out of wall & column, 1" elbow 3/4" out of wall, 1" elbow & column.

You've really got me thinking about this now. If I can redo this while I have the water lowered to replace the ball valves, the delivery date of the new light wouldn't matter. (y)

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For what it’s worth, I had to pull wire through a conduit when I installed my electric car charger. After struggling for a few hours I finally broke down and got some of this lubricant... Klein Tools 19 oz. Foam Wire Pulling Lubricant-51100 - The Home Depot. After I used the lubricant I had the wire through in lIke 5 minutes. It is definitely worth it if you’re struggling getting the wire through.

I've heard that dish soap works too for pool light cord. Have gotten 1-1/2" & 2" pool sweeps from local Lowes, so I'll see if they have 'em for 3/4" & 1". This could be a really good thing if it'll fit. :kim:

Never would have guessed having to replace a dead pool light would open a can of worms. :LOL:

All that I was able to find in a sweep elbow for 3/4" and 1" was conduit, which I'm assuming would be ok in this case since it's not in a water pressure situation. But wonder if being conduit would matter when pulling the cord. If I placed the 3/4" sweep as close as I could to the wall, it does stick out further than the existing elbow, but only by 3/4" or so.
pad 3a right.jpg
existing vs sweep conduit
pool light cord- existing vs conduit.jpg

backside of wall since we used 45° elbows here, will assume we did the same for an earlier 90° turn. There may or may not be another 90° pair closer to the pool from the original build.
pipes into pad a.jpg

Replacing the pool light cord piping
Pro
:
--Future pool light replacement would not require lowering water below niche so that column and then elbow each be unscrewed to pull the cable straight out from the wall.
Cons:
--Replacing light AND cord is a rare occurance. Is it worth the trouble to not have to lower the water?
--If I replace it, it'd be glued with the (old) cable in place, so there'd be a risk of getting glue on the (old) cable.

The replacement seemed more attractive when I thought that delivery of the new pool light would impact when I would lower the water for replacement of the ball valves and how long I'd have to leave the water at the lower level. But now the light is supposed to arrive Friday and I'm not going to start the drain until Sun, so not an issue now.

Really have a hard time with this. Would like to hear from @jimmythegreek on whether he thinks it would be worthwhile to replace my existing pool light cord piping from the wall (3/4" pvc, 1" threaded elbow, 1" threaded column) with a glued-in 3/4" conduit elbow.

Kim, if you're reading, how do you page someone?

Last edited:
The standard way to do pool light conduits is to have sweeps so the cord can be pulled through without having to lower the water. AND the potential that all those threaded fittings don't leak. I assume the pool has a wet niche in the wall?

I would change it just so it fits the way things are done now.. so the next guy isn't thrown for a loop trying to figure it out.

The standard way to do pool light conduits is to have sweeps so the cord can be pulled through without having to lower the water. AND the potential that all those threaded fittings don't leak. I assume the pool has a wet niche in the wall?
I don't think the word standard has any relationship to this pad. :LOL: All of the pipe entries/exits to the pad use threaded fittings, so I'm accepting the risk. Yes, it's a wet niche.

I would change it just so it fits the way things are done now.. so the next guy isn't thrown for a loop trying to figure it out.
With this pad, the issue of the pool light conduit construct is going to be so minor. The next guy is going to bomb it & start from scratch. :ROFLMAO: And I'll be pushing daisies, so I won't care. ⚰

Really, though, the existing construct was an attempt to eliminate 1 elbow when pulling the cord, hopefully to make it a tiny bit easier.

Last edited:
don't think the word standard has any relationship to this pad. :LOL: All of the pipe entries/exits to the pad use threaded fittings, so I'm accepting the risk. Yes, it's a wet niche.
Daisies! Let's not be so morbid ;) I think the difference is this is electrical conduit the other threaded fittings are plumbing...

But then again I understand the Daisy Theorem. Whoever landscaped my yard (the previous owners) put in redwoods a bit close the the pool for my liking... but I figure I'll be pushing up my own daisies, by the time the redwoods are pushing up the shell.

Daisies! Let's not be so morbid ;) I think the difference is this is electrical conduit the other threaded fittings are plumbing...
At my age, it's not being morbid, just being realistic. :ROFLMAO: Yes, the issue of being electrical conduit, even though it's listed as Sched 40, is one of the main reasons I'm hoping that Jimmy will chime in. I have visions of it breaking under the stress of the cable pull. I don't want to mess with trying to bend pvc myself (watched my electrician do it when I had a service upgrade - really cool (y)) and don't want to delay things any more here by having someone else do one locally or waiting for one being shipped.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.