Wall crack leaks
SLAM end
Wall cracks repair
Chem balancing
Winding up 2020 efforts

Start 2021; TX freeze aftermath
Fiberglass resurface & pool deck refresh

------------------------------------

24,500 gal IG fiberglass pool in swamp mode. Water is from well - hard with calcium but not iron.

Not new to pool care since we've been DIY on the pool since we had it installed 40 years ago. Pump died about the same time I herniated a disc 4 years ago and pool has been out of service since then. All of the equipment is original, so plan to replace all of it.

I know I need to get as many of the leaves & muck out as possible first. Going to take a significant period of time since I still have back issues. While doing this, I would like to get test kit(s) and chems before starting, but have no idea of quantities. I suspect my SLAM is going to take at least 3 weeks from what I've been reading. Unless I've overlooked it, have not seen the total amounts of LC, for example, used by those other swamp-to-pool conversions. Know each pool is going to be different, but I need to limit my shopping exposure as much as possible (I'm 71). So if there is any kind of crystal ball to guide me on what I should have before starting the SLAM, I'd appreciate it.

Plan to get the TFP test kit, but which? Multiple?

Last edited:
You want the TF-100. With a pool in this condition, you may want the XL option too. The magnetic speedstir is a must. As for the SLAM Process, it works, but you already know it will take some time. Us FG owners can't afford the risk of emptying our pool, so you just have to be patient with chlorine. The challenge might be getting it. Hopefully you have good sources locally. You'll go through quite a few gallons I'm sure. Hopefully your pre-SLAM efforts to clean will help.

Yes, I'm spooked about being able to get chlorine. Was hoping there'd be some kind of guess like 2 gal/day x 21 days that I could aim at. If too tough to get, may have to delay the SLAM and just keep the leaves & muck cleared.

You'll just have to do some checking first I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if you go through a dozen or more bottles of chlorine/bleach on day 1, then a few more gallons thereafter. Each pool and SLAM is different, so it's hard to know for sure. The initial consumption of FC in a green pool is fairly high, but will taper-off in time.

So 40-50 gal is not unrealistic. A couple of pool companies supposed to make contact tomorrow for equipment, so can also ask them about chlorine purchase. If I'm lucky, one company is nearby and maybe I can hire them to do the leaf & muck scooping; I'd rather do the chems myself. But if I can't get chlorine, no sense buying the equip now, so I'd guess there'd be incentive to help me there... :)

Reactions: splashpad
So 40-50 gal is not unrealistic.
Correct. Very possible. We have pics of owners who showed all their expended bottles. We never know for sure though. Also depends on the strength of that chlorine. Naturally you'll go through more 6% than 10-12%. I hope that company can help take care of you on some level.

If you don't mind taking a drive down Hwy 290 try Napco in NW Houston they can supply bulk (or used to). Last address I had is NAPCO at 2830 spring cypress rd. I have friends in Canyon Lake area that have gotten it from this source recently but I'd call then before you make the trip. Liquid pool chlorine has been difficult to find but I find bulk suppliers have never run out.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Talked to local pool guy yesterday on phone. Apparently he'd come out on Monday to take a look. Said it was the worst pool he'd ever seen. :laughblue:He figured that there was about 2 ft of crud in the deep end & that it would take a month to scoop, so he's suggesting a full drain. He's going to take some time to figure pricing on options & equipment.

03 Pump Pad & pool from shallow end diagonal.jpg

In the meantime, I'll start with baby steps to see what I can manage physically on the shallow end. First is the surface algae mat.

First skim load. Ranch, 1000 Island or Italian needed? :)
day 01 1 first load.jpg

After removal of 2 carts worth:

day 01 2 pool.jpg

Didn't even attempt to get it all yesterday; goal was see how much I'd hurt today. Not too bad, but not going to be able to scoop today because of other chores. Yes, I know that the deck needs to be cleaned off...

Ordered a heavy duty pole for deep end testing.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Casey and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At least it doesn't smell and hasn't been a mosquito habitat. Had a bunch of frogs until last year. Not sure what happened to them, but also have some resident 'coons, so maybe there's a connection.

Have had a series of family medical issues the last 10 years and that has stopped a ton of DIY projects and the neglect of quite a few things. :( This year I'm determined to get the pool back 'cause we enjoyed both being in it & just looking at it ... even if it takes me until Aug. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Knitrn and Casey
At least it doesn't smell and hasn't been a mosquito habitat. Had a bunch of frogs until last year. Not sure what happened to them, but also have some resident 'coons, so maybe there's a connection.

Have had a series of family medical issues the last 10 years and that has stopped a ton of DIY projects and the neglect of quite a few things. :( This year I'm determined to get the pool back 'cause we enjoyed both being in it & just looking at it ... even if it takes me until Aug. (y)
You got this. Just take your time. Wish I was closer n not on lockdown. I'd help you scoop n clean it up.

Looks like your well on your way if you can get wheelbarrow loads out! For Cl for every bit of solids you have left you have to imagine you need Cl to oxidase it. During this pandemic i would even go so far as to say that I would wait till I was 90% getting the solids out before I even started in on the Cl. That's just me though.
Have a compact tractor with a front loader, so just dump the contents of the lawn cart in to that and it's easy from there. Yes, my plan is to scoop everything that I can first before tossing in the $$$ for chems. Posting about this prep now so that I can move smoothly into the SLAM phase prepared. And if anyone has scoop ideas for the deep end... (y) Going to really give my leaf net's "lifetime warranty" a thorough test. :D

I just love taking old neglected things and bringing them back to life so am a little jealous. My opinion is draining it isn't worth the risk. Maybe rig some rope and put plastic hooks at the end and throw that in and drag out the big stuff. Looking forward to seeing the progress pics!

You may want to shop around and get feedback from here on equipment, even if you pay the pool guy to install it.Most pool stores are way over priced.
Hope your doing better and can enjoy it!

You may want to shop around and get feedback from here on equipment, even if you pay the pool guy to install it.Most pool stores are way over priced. Hope your doing better and can enjoy it!
I am reading & trying to figure out equipment. Don't know what kind of equipment the local pool guy does, but know he's already complaining that the pump area is too small. :D The other pool guy (#2) that we're talking to was recommended by a fiberglass resurfacer that we'd gotten a bid from a decade ago. From his web site, pool guy #2 is a Zodiac/Jandy fan and I'm seeing posts that the Jandy SWG is not the greatest. Pool guy #2 will do equipment here, but is too far away for anything else. Have sent him pics and data only.

Started a thread over in Pumps originally, but didn't get much feedback.
All new equip for 40 yr fiberglass pool

Don't know if I'm going to get to pool today 'cause I have to do some clearing on the driveway for the needed propane delivery and there's potentially heavy t-storms this afternoon.

Reactions: Tpopz
I love my DE filter. The only downside I've ever encountered is that it works so well during a SLAM that it needs babysat n cleaned several times a day. BUT... on the flip side, you can clear a swamp in a week if you clear all the debris and clean the filter.

I am curious what you find when you get it drained :) Hopefully nothing major
I read a few of the post, I like cartridge filters but DE would work..If you go cartridge go as big as you can. Cartridges get pretty fine stuff alone..I have added Jacks filter fiber when I am getting Iron out but my water stays crystal clear without it
Unless your doing some sort of automation ( I don't ) look at Saltwater Swimming Pool Systems & Supplies | Discount Salt Pool Lots of us have Circupool SWG. You want twice the pool size, maybe the RJ-60?
Robot if you have the funding, sounds like you have a polaris..Robot is like vacuuming your pool vs sweeping :) But I get it you have one that works

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.