Reversing polarity on salt cell

TerryW

Apr 11, 2018
Perth Australia
I am currently running a Chemigem automatic chlorinator which I installed when I converted my pool from salt.
However I am going to switch back to salt.
I have my old Everchlor salt cell chlorinator which is a mesh type and used to work fine other than requiring regular cleaning.
I would like to know if it is possible to set it up with a polarity reversing system to avoid the cleaning problem.
I know you can buy reversing polarity systems but don't know if all cells are capable of being reversed.
Would it be possible to damage it by reversing the polarity periodically?

Thanks in advance

While I happen to have a SWG with the polarity reversing feature you're after, I plan on maintaining my water chemistry such that the formulation of calcium on the cell plates will be eliminated to begin with. There is a school of thought here that by keeping your CSI a bit negative, you can do away with cell cleaning all together, and there are TFP members having success with that. I'm going to find out!

Sorry, I can't answer your specific question, but perhaps that's an alternate way for you to reach your goal. Maintaining "TFP" water chemistry can not only keep your SWG clean, it will make for a nicer looking pool, a healthier body of water, and a longer lasting pool surface.

Start here, if you're interested.

I forgot to mention the most important thing. My SWG reverses, but it still threw calcium flakes into the pool, and it still collected calcium on the plates, and still required a cleaning. So until I got my water balanced, calcium deposits were still a problem, on the SWG, tile and pool finish. So getting yours to reverse, even if possible, isn't necessarily going to stop the need to clean it. My SWGs owner's manual also states that the polarity reversing affects the life of the plates, so there's that. Though they don't indicate to what amount.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.