Return Jets not working

Oct 12, 2015
Keller
Hello.. having a problem with my return jets and wondering if anyone has had similar issues. My pump and spa seem to be running fine, but my return jets and my polaris pool cleaner are not working. I just cleaned my filters a few weeks ago and my pressure appears to be fine. I also cleaned out the skimmer basket and the pump strainer basket. I reached in and did not feel any obstructions in the impeller and it seemed to turn fine. I am sure what the issue is and looking for some additional thoughts on what I might can troubleshoot. In case it matters, this is a saltwater pool. Thanks for any help you can provide.

What kind of psi is on your pressure gauge? Are your valves correct? What kind of suction and flow rate? Can we get more info?

Not sure how to answer all of your questions.. but the pressure is running just over 20psi, which is pretty normal with clean filters. I have not noticed a significant margin of error since the filters have been cleaned. I have no idea how to measure the suction and flow rate.

That is odd. Did you notice the return jets stopping immediately after working on your filter a while back, or did this just happen out of the blue? For all returns to not be blowing, logic would seem to point to:
- Pump not pushing water (but then filter pressure would probably be next to nothing)
- Valve turned to wrong position (but then I would suspect some serious back-pressure)
- Plugged line somewhere between the filter outlet and return line before it disappears (but again, I'd suspect back-pressure)
- What kind of filter exactly (perhaps something was not put back together correctly and it simply took some time to cause a blockage, or partial blockage)

Do you have a skimmer and main drain? Do you see adequate suction from either or both?

That is odd. Did you notice the return jets stopping immediately after working on your filter a while back, or did this just happen out of the blue? For all returns to not be blowing, logic would seem to point to:
- Pump not pushing water (but then filter pressure would probably be next to nothing)
- Valve turned to wrong position (but then I would suspect some serious back-pressure)
- Plugged line somewhere between the filter outlet and return line before it disappears (but again, I'd suspect back-pressure)
- What kind of filter exactly (perhaps something was not put back together correctly and it simply took some time to cause a blockage, or partial blockage)

Do you have a skimmer and main drain? Do you see adequate suction from either or both?

I will check the suction at the skimmer tonight. The filters are cartridge. I believe everything was working properly up until a few days ago. I was in the process of adding more salt to the pool and general maintenance when I noticed the pool not circulating. I turned it on and off at the main and checked the pump and basket. I also cleaned out the skimmer.. However I did not look at the skimmer area very good. I will check tonight to see if there is some sort of blockage.

Well this makes no sense. If you have water in, the skimmers are sucking. And you have reasonable pressure at the filter, 20 psi seems reasonable. Where is the water going? We need picture of your equipment, plumbing and pool.

I bet your spa is bubbling and frothing like crazy, compared to usual.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.