Return jet directions for skimming circulation

AndyTN

Bronze Supporter
Mar 27, 2019
Memphis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Can someone please look at the diagram of my pool to provide suggestions on the proper direction I should have the return jet eyeballs pointed for the best skimming circulation? I have 3 return jets with them pointed up slightly making small ripples on the surface and the middle return is twice as powerful as the other two. The diagram shows the direction I have the returns pointed currently and the location of the skimmer. I have many trees around my yard so there is always leaves and debris landing in the pool and I seem to have the most accumulation of debris in the deep end opposite that return. I made the diagram show the usual place the Polaris hose sits after the timer has turned off and it seems like the hose blocks some of the water flow to the skimmer but even while the Polaris is running, the debris hangout doesn't really change. I run my single speed pump about 10-12 hours per day with the valve at 75% skimmer and 25% drain suction and the Polaris 4-5 hours per day so I know I am running them both enough to clean.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Attachments

• pool returns diagram.png
    pool returns diagram.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 43
Your prevailing winds have more of an effect on debris flow then return flow does.

Toss some ping pong balls in and watch their movement and try different return directions. Although when the wind direction changes it will mess up your setup.

My Polaris hose often is blocking a skimmer. When I walk by the pool during the day I pull it to a corner.

You really should have two skimmers. One at each end of that wall.

Looks like they would create conflicting currents the way you have them pointed now. I'd try pointing them all to the left so you can a nice circular current that pushes detritus towards the skimmer. I use an eyeball on my most powerful return and a fountain on the other. The fountain can be angled, so I put it underwater and pointed in a clockwise direction towards the next jet. Oh and I only put my polaris in when needed.

I live in an area that has more windy days than not and they frequently shift directions. I have found that pointing all the jets in the direction of the skimmer has worked best (for me). Nonetheless, I think the hose probably causes more issues that you might think. I have a robot and have noticed that the skimming action is pretty poor depending on where the robot/cable is. When I remove the robot, much of the debris that was floating for what seemed to be an inordinate amount of time will be gone within 30 minutes.

I attached a picture of how mine are positioned (sort of...the far right return is pointed closer to the skimmer but I couldn't get MS Paint to position the arrow correctly. Also, the cleaner outlet points towards the drain...I don't use it, but there is some return from it.) Also, I don't use the main drain at all.99501

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments everyone and I will try turning them all toward the deep end so they are in the same direction and water circulates clockwise toward the skimmer. I will then try the ping pong ball idea Allen suggested but I also can't add a 2nd skimmer without tearing up the pool deck. I will also trying turning off the main drains as Greg mentioned he does since that should create a stronger current to the skimmer and the robot will mix up the water in the deep end anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.